Why am I STILL getting water in the basement?

I have a sump pump & it works fine. I went in the attic after 3 days rain & its BONE dry.

I shored up dirt around my houses foundation.

I had my eaves troughs all redone because house is 1947. The water table is high here, but if thats the problem, the sump pump  would hit it first.

Im still getting water seeping into the basement along the walls, AT the FLOOR LEVEL.

It seeps in, in two big puddles on north wall.

ALL I can think, is that the neighbors yard is HIGH (garden) & its draining into my yard.

Im thinking about putting up some kind of barrier but I dont know WHAT. The water does pool in the backyard but away from the house. The house obviously has a good grade, for about ten feet, from the house wall.

ANy suggestions are welcome, especially regarding an affordable barrier.

Favorite Answer

the seepage is at the junction of walls and floor.  that indicates either the basement sticks down into the current water table [might have been lower in 1947] or that nearby lands have built up since 1947 and your 'lake' in the back yard is the source.

That you have a sump pump at all [assuming you did not add it] indicates the problem has existed for many years.  I suspect that it is quite unlikely you'll be able to regrade the back yard so the water runs off to somewhere.  There's a chance that french drains on both sides of the house will move enough water into the street to reduce your problem, but it isn't likely to disappear in heavy rains.

longer shots, likely requiring a contractor ... 1. regrade the basement floor to provide a channel for the water to flow into the sump.  might be some sort of concrete cutter device could do this. 2. termite guys use 1/2 hammer drills to open holes through concrete, after which they inject poison. A similar process MIGHT possibly inject a plastic like compound in liquid form that would solidify in the 60 degrees temperature under the floor, thus sealing up the cracks from the outside [the holes are then sealed with a slightly expansive concrete plug ... termite guys have this stuff ready.]

Source(s): grampa -- sorry, mate ... that's all the ideas I have

Remove a sizeable area of dirt, two feet down,  from where the water pools in your yard. . Fill with layers of graduated gravel sizes for drainage, tamp down well to settle  then add a layer of top soil and seed for grass growth. Or plant a weeping willow or simular tree that loves water. Install a downspout that has a long extension to divert water further away from the house.

You're not going to get anywhere by accusing the neighbors. It's highly unlikely that's the issue anyway. 

Sometimes water is going to seep in around the foundation at floor level, DESPITE a sump pump or other 'fixes' that try to keep it out. You can't install any 'barriers' in the yard that wouldn't cost you more than your entire house is worth to put in. 

Call a basement waterproofing company to come and evaluate your issue--they may have a simpler fix.  You said you 'shored up' the dirt around the foundation--but did you lay waterproofing barriers against the foundation by trenching down to the bottom?  If you didn't, the dirt is NOT going to stop this seep. When you dig down, you'll see why there is a problem--but you'll have to trench around the entire house.  

Your grade, as you know, is important, but your problem is DEEPER than what a grade would take care of. It's in the actual GROUND under your basement floor. This is still going to cost you some major money, but if you are able to stop it, your house will last a lot longer. 

Drainage problems!!!!.. That need to be fixed before it gets worst.

Get the water utility guys to come out.  There is a feeder line to the house from the city water supply.  They sometimes break and it is under the house.  I could not hear the noise of rushing water but they could.  I got used to the noise and blocked it out as regular noises.   They had to replace the feeder line from the front lawn shut off valve that they control to the house and lay me in a new connection by trenching my front yard.  A plumbing outfit did that. Now my basement is dry as the water was building the Batcave under my house(a big hollow) I did not notice it until water was getting into the house and I traced it back to the concrete wall, so it is coming from outside....They have earphones that can hear if the water is leaking in the supply line to the house before the meter.

THAT IS A POSSIBILITY. My house was built in 1975 using copper pipes.  Yours would be the same. Though it looks like high water table is your problem. You just ain't high enough.  You have eaves troughs. Many houses don't so a French drain would not help you in this case.

The house needs raising out of the ground so it is higher.  It is just a bad year for you.

But having the water utility to come out and listen for a leaking supply line. They can and will do that for free.  Ask them for advice with your situation.

• GF

First off. Make sure that your gutters are not adding rain water to these areas that are pooling up. Add extensions/pumps or what ever it needs to divert your water away from the areas where you are flooding.

Call "Dig Safe" so they can flag underground utilities before digging 

In your case it looks like you'll need a 3'-4' deep french drain (3' deep = 3' away from house) to divert the water in your yard. This is outside of your house parallel. It should pitch away from your foundation and continue to dry land.

I think you should put a french drain in the basement floor along the walls that are getting wet. Add a sump pump with a float to the french drain. The concrete will need to be cut and chipped out.

Another option or addition would be to dig wells 4' deep & 4' diameter, line it with weed mat, put about 2' of gravel in the hole, put dry well (wrapped with weed mat) in the hole on top of the gravel, fill hole with gravel. You can connect the wells with pvc drainage pipes to create a drainage system that disperses the water down into the ground before it gets to lower grade and away from your foundation.

It's hard to tell where the pooling is happening because we can't see your house in those pictures. At least I don't think I can. 

Please add additional pictures 

I actually put heavy plastic along the inside wall of my french drain so the water doesn't absorb towards my foundation as much and travels away from my house.

I'd go with the dry well system first. If it doesn't fix it add the outside french drain. Lastly the basement french drain.

Red are french drain.

Blue is dry well system 

Time to call the professionals  Yard is flooding and it will go to the basement.  Dig an underground gravel drain that will drain water.  You will likely need a city permit for that.  Good luck.

• Droopy

water table might be high in your area.  By that ponding water Id say it is. There's no fixing your basement until you fix that lake in your yard.