Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 6 months ago

Mixing RAM gb sizes. Any conflicts?

2 slot PC. Both sticks are DDR4 2400, but one is 4gb and the other 8gb. Will the combination really give me a full 12gb, or will there be a conflict (and, thereby, less-than 12gb performance) because both modules are not the same size?

64-bit system. Maximum RAM support is 16gb.

BQ: If there is no problem to mix RAM gb sizes, should I seat the larger size module in the first slot (and remove the smaller one to the 2nd slot)?

• Joe S

It will work just fine without any conflicts. Only the first 4gb will work in dual-channel mode, not the first 8 (since 4gb is the smallest). Your total system memory will be 12gb, unless your graphics card or something else is allocating system memory.  Placement doesn't matter.

It will be screwy with the system I tried that before..

Sorry, I don't want to be 'that guy' but there is wrong information posted about the PC not running in Dual-Channel. The RAM will run in Flex mode which means the first 8gb will run in dual-channel but the last 4gb will run in Single Channel.

It would be for the best to try the larger stick in the slot closest to the CPU but it might not make a difference. It would be a good idea to go the extra mile to make sure the memory is compatible with your system. 

• Dick

You can mix 8GB and 12GB and they will perform just fine if they are of the same speed in Hz.  If they are a mismatch as far as speed is concerned, then they will perform at the speed of the slower stick.  

• ?

if you use 2 different size/speed chips, the computer cannot use dual-channel mode, so it will run slower.

I recently mixed 3 5300u 667s 512s with a 4300u 1gb no problems besides the clock speed will be reduced to 4300u.  All 4 slots of ram sticks were dif makes.  Nope doesn’t matter, it will always be reduced to the lowest clockspeed setting of the ram modules.