Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsGeography · 2 months ago

I thought moving to Alaska might be a good idea until I realized it was over 2200 f*cking miles just to get to Vancouver. Thoughts?

LA to St. Louis is only 1800 miles. 

Germany is closer to Africa than Anchorage is to Vancouver. 

• John P

My thoughts are that you should not use bad language, even if asterisked, in a serious question. Does the 'f' word reinforce your question? No.

And did you really have no idea  before you thought of moving to Alaska how far away from everywhere else Alaska is?

Attu Island in the Aleutian Archipelago is part of Alaska. It is the most westerly point of the USA.  It is probably nearer Beijing, than Vancouver or Washington DC.

The nearest point of Alaska to Vancouver is the Portland Canal, which separates Canada from the USA. There is some 500 miles between the Portland Canal and Vancouver.  

The Portland Canal is in the fiords of the Pacific Coast of Alaska, and Canada.   The nearest town in Wrangell, Alaska. 

What does the distance from Vancouver matter? If your main concern is that everyplace in Alaska is a considerable distance away from Vancouver, then it obviously wouldn't be a good idea for you to entertain the idea of moving to Alaska. If you were debating a move to Hawaii, would you allow the distance from the mainland US to deter you from proceeding with it? Alaska and Hawaii are not contiguous with the rest of the United States. And the Alaskan Panhandle is not 2,000 miles away from Vancouver. Distances are skewed because the system of roads is either very poor or non-existent in many parts of Alaska. It's impossible to drive from Juneau to Anchorage without using ferries. 

• Bill-M

Vancouver is only 766 Miles from the Capital City of Alaska - Jenuau/

Anchorage is only 1300 miles.  As the Crow fly's.

It’s not about the distance these days. It’s about the quality of the destination. I think I’d love Alaska.

Stats say it has the highest std rates as well so not good if youre promiscuous