What are your thoughts on mixed race dating?

My daughter who is 33 keeps getting asked if she has been with a black guy before. She said no but still got told she was racist. 

I don't won't this to sound racist but my daughter is married now. 

My daughter doesnt have a issue with black people at all, just not into the whole mixed race dating. 

That's not racist, its a personal choice.

I am white and married a black man. when you love someone that is all that counts, you can not help who you fall in love with. sad to say my husband died March of 2019

I don't really concern myself with other ppl's live's bgjkq

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , ,

• Paul

God only recognizes one race, the human race. Why would any rational person reject a relationship with an amazing, wonderful, caring, loving person because their skin is a different shade??

• Judith

I don't have a problem with it but then when I was in my 20s I dated a black guy on and off for several years.

And, yes, your daughter certainly does have an issue with black people and she is a racist whether she or you want to believe it or not.  Because if she wasn't a racist that "whole mixed race dating" thing wouldn't bother her.

I've never dated anyone outside of my race, but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it if I found myself attracted to someone who was not the same race as me. I don't think that someone who hasn't dated outside of their race would or should be considered racist for that.

What is mixed race anyway?  When the Irish part of my family came to America in the 1800s, people said that about the Irish. Pictured them as monkeys and darker skinned - not accurate at all - but that was the stereotype. Now no one notices or cares even though I am very Irish look (very pale skin, burn easily, former red head). When do two people become different? Dark skinned Black versus very light skinned Black?  Very dark African versus very dark Indian? Not being into it, is a sort of racism. It may not cause hurtful actions, but it none-the-less is using race as a way to differentiate people and consider them not the same/equal.

Have I? Yes. Not often, but several. 

• Pyrus

People should understand that it's her and her alone that isn't into the whole mixed race dating, but it certainly doesn't mean that she is against other couples (let's say a white and a black) dating. That's what people INSINUATE about her, making THEM wrong, not your daughter. In other words, those people are ungrateful racist bigots. 

Now, I have no problem with other races at all, but I also don't see myself dating anyone from any race. I'm just not into it. Does that make me racist? Ha! Make them say that to my Indian friends, tell that to my Muslim friends, tell that to my black friends and Asian friends too! Let's see what will happen. 

When it comes to interracial dating/marriage, the statistics show that there are still a large portion of people in America who do not date or marry outside of their race. The most recent number from a census.gov article points to the number being just over 10%. What this means is that about 90% of Americans do not engage in interracial dating/marriage. Does this mean that trends for this are not changing? No. The article also points to the fact that interracial relationships are increasing in current time. 

The reason that the statistics are important is because it shows that even in today's time, the majority of Americans date or marry those of their same racial composition and culture. To your point about your daughter, if she never dated outside of her racial background, it doesn't mean that she is a racist. There is a such concept called a "preference." All of us have a preference, and to be clear, most individuals migrate toward those who have similar views or values, and perhaps they even look similar in terms of appearance. 

This does not mean that interracial relationships are inherently wrong, because the common denominator that we all have is our humanity. At the same time, a person's choice when it comes to a racial background is just that, a choice. It doesn't make someone a racist unless their reasoning is in some way to relay a message that others from a different racial background are inferior and theirs is superior. 

• fcas80

I never have, but my son has.  If the right person had come along, I might have.