Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 2 months ago

HELP! Carnophobia (Scared of Meat)?

I have a strange phobia, but now that I'm married it's become more apparent. (My mom prepared most of our meals growing up).

I've always had a strange relationship with meat. As a child, I felt bad that we ate the animals and would almost feel mortified while eating if I thought too hard about it but never became a vegetarian (I like the taste and appreciate the nutritional value that comes from certain meats). As an adult, as Iong as I don't have to see the animal die or as long as it looks more like food than the animal when it's time for me to prepare it, I'm fine.

The problem is my husband wants me to cook some fish. He's Carribean and buys the whole fish with the head still attached. I had him to remove the heads for me so I could prepare the fish but I didn't have him scale it (I prefer to deal with fillets for obvious reasons stated). I'm having a breakdown because I'm too scared to hold the fish by the tail and scale it. The last time he wanted me to cook chicken and it wasn't in the form of breast or wings (it was the whole bird kind of like Cornish hens) I literally drove to my mom's house to have her cut it up for me and clean the inside. I've tried to just do it, but I ended up crying. I'm 29 smh. I'm thinking about knocking on my neighbor's door and asking her to come over to scale it for me. I'm not proud of this at all, but this is a real phobia for me. I'm an empath, and it's almost as if I were an animal in my past life or something.

Being completely real, you should be a vegetarian. Most people are numb to it now, but killing isn't in our true nature. Culture is just a story. That's why eating a cow seems 'normal' here and eating dogs seems outrageous, meanwhile it's outrageous to eat a vow in India. It is not healthy to consume second hand cholesterol at all actually, the only good cholesterol is made in your body naturally. Plus, studies show meat eaters die earlier in life as well. 

this is the category about food and beverages, not mental health issues. Ask in the correct category.

It's not a phobia. You're not a barbarian.

This is all in your head. A therapist could help you overcome your phobia. And you need to do this if you want to stay married.

If he wants to eat the fish - tell him to prep it first, or buy fillets that you're comfortable to cook. 

I agree with the one response, if he wants to buy whole fish, or other animals that's not fully cut up, then it's time to man up a bit, and get to a state where you are able to deal with it for cooking. My late girlfriend had no issues when I hunted in the past, of coming out and helping cut up the deer once it was skinned and the head removed. The other option is as also suggested, to have the local butcher pre-cut whatever it is for you. However about the only thing they're not likely to do that with, are the small Cornish hens, and even then the most they're likely to do is split them in half.

Being an empath isnt real first off. Second, if he wants fish, he can do it himself. You're not comfortable cooking meat, he wants meats he can cook it. 

Talk to your shrink, and if you don't have one YOU SHOULD!

Easy solution to this, "problem".

Sit down with your hubby. Explain your issue, and decide between you, that all meat will come from a butcher or certain grocery and in what format it will be in before coming home. A good butcher will over time will learn exactly home many of their regular customer like the meats/fish prepped before they get it. 

Same for fish. If fresh caught, he cleans and filets or has it done. If store bought, skinned/scaled, de-headed/tailed/finned. Most groceries fish/meat counters will do this when buying fish from them, as will a seafood shop that sells whole fish.  May be a charge for this, but worth the price if you can't or don't want to to do this. 

I've known couples and individuals over the years that did no like touching raw meat, no matter what form it came in, so the options were buy and wear gloves, hire a cook/prep person, or others in the home handled all cooking of meat or fished containing meat. 

I personally have hired other people as prep cooks, while I did the actual cooking for parties and large get together or if I was planning or a large amount of meal prep. Getting someone to prep 50 pounds of spuds, onions, carrots, peppers and the like, saved me tons of time/work. 

This is not a serious phobia. Most vegans and vegetarians feel this way about meat. We feel bad that people eat animals (so we stop), we are mortified while eating meat (so we stop), and many of us would have a breakdown when touching dead animals and cooking them (so we don't do that). I would cry too if I had to do that... Plenty of rational and empathetic people have "carnophobia" which is a silly term. Of course if you continue forcing yourself to eat meat and involve yourself in situations where you're preparing it then you will feel distress.

Source(s): I'm vegan