Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 6 months ago

My gf wants me to propose to her?

Weve been together for a while now, she keeps bringing up the subject of marriage, her friends are all getting engaged nowadays like one everyday and shes nagging me to propose.

Im not against the idea, im just against the fact that she only wants to be with me because its the new trend.

Ps I proposed before the corona and she said no

• Foofa

It's easy to understand why you don't want to be your gf's mechanism of keeping up with the Joneses. TBH if this is where her head is at she's not mature enough to get married. Next time she mentions this you should just tell her so. Remind her that marriage is a union between the two of you and not some fashion accessory just to show off to her friends. 

Uh, I'd love to know how old you are . There's not one thing you said here that implies you're anywhere near ready as a couple for this huge step.  When someone says it's time to get engaged because everyone else is, this sounds like a teen trying to organize a group prom date.  You came across a bit more mature until your update, where you proposed to her in spite of the fact you have strong reservations.  Why would you do that?

I suggest you put this on the back burner for 2 years, during which time you learn to communicate as a couple and you get to know each other much better.  Also, keep your eye on the prize.  This isn't about a ring and a wedding.  It's about the lifetime commitment an engagement represents.

Marriage is a new trend? As of when

You proposed and she said no. Why, may I ask are you still with this woman? If I was denied a proposal to marry, I sure would not be staying in a dead end relationship.

But, now, now she wants to keep up with her friends. Well, now you are the booby prize.

This woman, and I use the term woman loosely, wants a proposal for the wrong reasons. You say you have been dating for a while now a d if her love was not sufficent or deep enough by the time you proposed...what suddenly happened for her to want a proposal? Her friends, that is what happened, her friends are gettjng engaged. If you propose, you are foolish. Or, maybe she did suddenly fall deeply in love since you proposed before corona. 

Again, do not be fooled and used as stand in fiance for her self important status.

• Getting engaged shouldn't be a 'trend', you propose to some one you love. Don't feel pressured by her saying her friends are all getting engaged. You get engaged when you want to. If she wants to be with you then she shouldn't say no, but she can back out if she feels she's not ready to get married. Getting married should be for life, making plans together for your future together. Remind her that she said no to you last time and ask what changed her mind.

Discuss the idea of being ready to get married and being together for a long time. Make sure she's ready to make a commitment before you propose. If you're not ready to propose, tell her. If she says no again, tell her you're not going to stay with her this time. 

Assuming you're both adults; why not sit down and talk as adults about your life plans, expectations etc. This can include marriage (not just a wedding day)

• Trish

What difference does it make..you both want to marry and I'm not convinced it's a trend.  How's that go...

• drip

Neither of you are ready for marriage.  Which is very different from an engagement or wedding.

• Helen

You have doubts in the relationship now, and rightly so. 

What's your question, Sparky?