coin shortage in the United States?

there is a coin shortage here. When there is a shortage, that increases the value of the item that is in shortage, law of supply and demand. Should we start hoarding coins? Do you think if this coin shortage gets severe enough, people who pay in coins will get discounts? During the depression of 1929, prices dropped because there were less currency in circulation. 

• Nah. My boss will be going cashless within the next few months. Despite proof COVID-19 can't be transferred using coin or cash. 

A few weeks ago when I went to the bank I seen a few people bringing change they 

save threw out the year.

• Oiy

The coin is not short, it‘s in the picky saving bank. No body wants to touch the coins during the pandemic. No giving and receiving. The shortage is not the coins and the money. We have not paid the rent and interest for three months. The banks should have gone now. But the FED give the banks the money for free with no limit. So we are still on the street and keep yelling like in Portland.

• Zirp

Hoarding would only cause a "shortage"

Once upon a time, not so long ago, we figured that making a cent actually cost three cents.  So we stopped using cents and rounded off bills to the nearest nickle - and after the Euro was introduced we kept doing so

Source(s): netherlands
  • Kieth

What shortage? I've got 90 pounds of pre 1982 pennies, about three pounds of wheat tails, and a handful of indian heads. (oh no, does that make me a racist?)