Mr asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 2 months ago

unfinished vinyl flooring?

I like to ask your advice about vinyl flooring, please look at attachments, these gaps between rooms are excessive, no? Would it be normal to at least fill up the gap with a sealant, so dust doesnt build up there, or excess water seeping down there from mopping or spillages and then damaging the vinyl? 

thanks

Update:

the white narrow gap between the blue lines is not a sealant of any sort, but the under floor,this is a floor not wall. 

Attachment image

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Your floor is presented as a wall.  There is such a thing as a DRY MOP.  It collects dust real good by electrostatic action as the mop is made of wool and the vinyl is a plastic. Nobody is that sloppy usually...as they wanted to drink that beer.  Not put it on the floor.

. it is a confusing picture

Vinyl glue is plastic glue so it does not dissolve. When are you going to move out of the STONE AGE, and clean using other methods.

Drymopping is done in Bowling Alleys too. They never wet mop.

• y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

There is a bead of white silicon in the gap, on the left side. I can't see the right side well enough to know if anything is in that one or not. Expansion and contraction with any flooring means gaps have to be here and there, usually covered with baseboard are some sort of changeover trim pieces.

• GF
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Wall and floor - There is supposed to be a base (baseboard or cove base) to hide the gaps. There has to be a gap because the flooring will expand and contract depending on the climate.

Floor to Floor - To me it looks like you're missing a threshold. There should be a transition between the 2 floors 

• 2 months ago

You need something installed to cover the gaps (border strips, sill plate), don't just try to "fill" them with sealant. That's really an incomplete installation.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I'd expect there to be some form of sealing strip, it needs to be at least partially able to take differences in contraction and expansion. We have cork strips in those circumstances.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Vinyl is a manufactured product. What you should do is look at the manufacturer's installation recommendations for types of sealant that should be used and where. I would say it is normal to seal or weld to stop water getting behind.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.