Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 2 months ago

Question about morality between neighboring houses?

I have a chain link fence that separates my house from my neighbors. That short chain link fence has been there for over 65 years and they want to tear it down and put up a 6 foot wooden privacy fence. The previous neighbors lived there for over 60 years and they have for only 3 years. They are good neighbors, but not as good as the previous ones (Now deceased unfortunately). That chain fence gives the yards a sense of connection and openness. They want to tear it down and put a wall of division between the yards. I know that it is just their decision to build a fence if they so desire, but why now, do you think? I would just hate to see shade and darkness instead of light. I have no interest in looking at them. 

good fences make good neighbours. Have they asked you to pay half and u don't want to? If they are paying for it then let them do it. They probably want more privacy.

• drip

Is it moral?  Check with your towns building codes. In our neighborhood we can not have six foot fences, They have every right to put up the fence they want to in their property.  However you do not need to give your permission to tear down your fence.  I have seen many yards where one neighbor has put  their fence up right next to the existing fence.  

One side isn’t going to do much in the way of blocking out your sun and light. 

What has morality to do with it?  They are as entitled to desire privacy as you apparently do not.

Maybe they want privacy or they are just not warm-hearted. as you are don't worry about things you cannot change people are a ball of confusion   

What on earth does morality have to do with it? They would like a solid fence. Maybe they want privacy. Why, specifically, I couldn't possibly say since I don't know these people, but it isn't uncommon for people to want privacy in their back yard

Tell them that IF they want to put up a fence like a WALL to put it on their side and THAT you do not OK it for them to tear down or remove anything. 

'

They can put whatever they want to on their property and YOU cannot stop them as long as its within city codes and regs. 'YOU do have the legal right to tell them that YOU WILL NOT PAY ANYTHING AT ALL OF RIT AND THAT you DO NOT WANT IT ON YOUR PROPERTY.. 'they CAN RUN IT RIGHT ALONG THE EXISTING FENCE IF THEY WANT TO AND IT WILL BE TOTALLY ON THEIR PROPERTY AND NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT THAT.

'

oTHER THAN THAT you CANNOT STOP THEM AND YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY ANY COST AT ALL PLUS YOU CAN TELL THEM AND THEIR CONTRACTORS that all work ETC. has TO BE DONE ON THEIR PROPERTY THAT they CANNOT ENTER YOUR PROPERTY OR WORK FROM YOUR PROPERTY. 

Well, it's not your decision. It's theirs. And if that's what they want, then that's what they want. You'll just have to live with the results. 

This has nothing whatsoever to do with "morality," by the way. It's a question of aesthetics--and they're YOUR aesthetics, not theirs. 

Your neighbors want privacy. 

if the chain link fence is yours they cant rip it out . But it seems that your neighbor should be able to put up  a fence right against the chain link fence

There is no 'morality' here.  It's their decision to live a more private life than the previous owners.  That's a choice.  You'll adjust.  Get some jasmin or such so you don't have to look at the fence but instead nice flowering vines (depending on where you live, of course,)

Maybe they want their privacy.