I have downloaded movies on my computer and put them on USB but when I put the USB in my dad's TV some don't work. How can I sort this?

• Robert

Not all tvs will play videos from a thumb drive. Some are only able to play pictures from a thumb drive. You need to look up the brand and model to find out what its features are. They should tell you on their website what formats will play and what wont.  Since MP4 was developed in part as a broadcast transmission protocol, I would bet most tvs capable of playing videos at all will play mp4 videos. So that is what I'd try first.

If you cannot Play ANY of the Movies on the FlashDrive then it May be that Video Format..MP4 is the most common but I believe MKV is the newest. AVI is a Much Older Format that takes a LOT of Space up. Same with WMV .. a windows format.

Right-click on the Flashdrive in Windows explorer and click 'Properties' ..If it does not say FAT32...then Open the drive and Highlight the Video Files and Copy.. Paste on another Hardrive or Flashdrive and REFORMAT the ORIGINAL Flashdrive to FAT32.. then Paste the Video files back to that. Try to Play them now.

If SOME of the Video Files Play..but NOT OTHERS.. The problem is NOT the Flashdrive..but the Video Format. Find an inexpensive Conversion program and format to MP4 and if you can use VLC Media Player to run them. That works best with Multiple Formats.

If you have Win 10... and IF the Video Files are NOT Legal, Downloaded Video Files.. They may not play..whatever you do. Still.. doesn't hurt to try.... Good Luck

Source(s): Experience
  • Shadow

The format of the movie is probably not supported. Use a video converter app, like Any Video Converter, to convert all the movies to a supported format for the TV.

Try with different pendrive. If it works then that pendrive is not supported to pendrive. If it does not work then there might be problem in TV.

If some aren't working, then it's most likely they're using a codec that your Da's TV doesn't recognise. Were they all from the same source? Or did you get them from various sites? If they're all from the same then it probably means the files are corrupt. If not? Then the ones probably use different containers. You could convert them into standard MP4 but it'd be handier to just download the movies again in the readable format. 

The user's manual for that TV will tell you what file formats the TV supports as well as what file system the flash drive needs to be in.

Your USB should be formatted to the FAT32 format.

what you are trying to do is violation of copyright law and the movies are supposed to detect this and refuse to play.  all of them.

Nate asks you to "soft format" a USB stick in the microwave, which will destroy it.

• Lv 7

your dad-s TV only supports certain formats. read the manual to find out which.