Mr asked in PetsOther - Pets · 2 months ago

is there a pet that requires little attention?

daughter like to have a turtle, things is we are not at home for about a month a year, is there a pet that be suitable?

excellent answers. maybe month is too long, 3 weeks abroad.  so turtle or tortoise, species? there doesnt seem to be a local store, eg pets home, that sell, though l can find some on 'freeads.co.uk' are they safe?

Favorite Answer

A pet rock, maybe. All I'm saying is that no matter what you get, it's going to need water, at the very least. Snakes and tarantulas can go a month without eating, require very bare minimum substrate changes (clean out of their tanks), but they still need water.  

• jean

i have various spiders in my flat and they feed themselves and make spiders webs. I may see them once a year.

If you plan on not giving it attention, then why the hell get a pet in the first place? You are obviously not going to enjoy its company

There is no pet that would be able to be left alone for a month straight. My advice would be to get an animal that you could find boarding for or take with you. I’m not sure where you are off to for months at a time so maybe this would not work, but if you could get, say a dog, and bring him/her with you I think that would be ideal for that animal. However I don’t recommend getting a hamster or somethin and bringing it along for the trip. What I’m tryna say here is that you have some choices: get an animal you can board for a month, get an animal that you could take with you, get no animal at all, or change your plans so that you can stay home with the animal, but again idk what you’re doing, maybe it’s important so this one probably isn’t an option for you. The biggest thing is that before you get an animal, be one hundred percent certain you will be able to care for it one way or another! Far too often people get pets but later realize they cannot care for them and they end up in terrible situations. I wish you the best of luck! 

A month is too long to neglect a pet.  Get a plushy or a furby.

• F

Remember pet rocks?

Bugs are just a great example of this.

Source(s): Reality.

Bugs. A lot of them can go quite a while without food and/or you can leave enough food in the enclosure. Some options could be millipedes, tarantulas, scorpions, tailless whip scorpions, a vinegaroon or roaches. However you would need someone to stop by every once in a while to give them water. 

Maybe fish? I know they sell automatic feeders and if you had a tank that was bigger than necessary and with some plants to eat up the nitrates it could go a month without water changes. I would still want someone to check on them occasionally if they were my fish. Make sure the feeder was working, top off water if necessary etc. 

• Edwena

A couple of cows can be left in the pasture for a month if they have plenty of grass and a constant, natural water source, and the weather is decent. But you need at least 2 and 3 is better. And, assuming you have a good fence and someone has already shot all the coyotes. 

• Scott

I don’t think there is a pet that you can completely leave alone for a full month. They need to be fed and their housing needs to be cleaned. Having said that, maybe a hermit crab would work.