What is the essential program?

Im writing my essay for college and am exploring coding.

I would like to ask what do you think the essential program is (a program that includes all major concepts of coding) 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

The Essential Plan is a New York health insurance program for lower-income state residents that don't qualify for Medicaid or the Child Health Plus Program. There are a total of 4 Essential Plan options and each option is based on your household income level.

• 1 month ago

“the essential program?” There is none. Unless lives depend on it. You could say, the essential program is to have sex and procreate. The only ‘essential’ program is to have sex. Landing on the Moon, for example, was optional.

• Robert
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

How about the compiler? I mean, that has to cover every aspect of programming by design.

• Not
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

All major concepts of coding? You don't need such crap. I could get a monkey to code.

The computer does what you tell it to, and to know what to tell it you need to read the manual. The computer has limited resources, notably memory and processing power. The rest is just fixing what doesn't work. That's how you code.

You can put that as a side note in your essay.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You should learn basics of  C & C++ language because it is the base of all programming lanuage and essential for programming.

• Lv 7
    2 months ago

Notepad. you can literally program in any language with just a simple text editor.

although Notepad++ is nicer with more features, but Notepad is free, it comes with your computer, and it requires no instructions to use.

• 2 months ago

I would say it depends on the language you are coding in, generally there are progrrams that are designed specifically for those.

Something like notepad+++ is quite general but there are other programs that are others that are maybe more specific to a particular language.

• Snezzy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Eddie's answer is very much on target, and to my eye omits only one other important topic. That would be concurrent programming, in which multiple processes are acting upon a single data object.

Essentially, if these steps occur in computation, you have a terrible mess:

1. Process A reads the data. Let's call it "D".

2. Process B reads the same data, D.

3. Process B writes a revised version into D.

4. Process A writes a revised version into D.

Notice that the work process B did has just been erased!

Many computer scientists, especially Per Brinch-Hansen and Edsger Dijkstra, have done good work on that problem. One method of solving it works something like this:

1. Process A checks to see that there is no lock on D, and

..... 1a. ..... sets a lock on D and reads D.

2. Process B tries to read it but must wait for the lock to be released.

3. Process A writes a revised version into D and unlocks it.

4. Process B is notified that D is now available and locks and reads it.

5. Process B writes a revised version into D and unlocks it.

You should worry that something might happen, messing with the lock, between step 1 and step 1a. How would you prevent that?

There are other methods. Read Brinch-Hansen's book Operating System Principles for an old but valid view of the subject.

• EddieJ
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The primary concepts of computer programming are:

1) Sequences, which can be just a series of assignment statements,

2) Repetition, such as a while loop,

3) Decisions, such as if / else statement, and

4) Function calls, so a good example would include a user-written function.

Additional concepts involve data types (integers, floating-point, characters, and aggregates such as arrays, strings, lists, and trees).

For decades, that would be the basics, but now concepts like object-oriented programming, and event-driven programming are important.  Together, those are an important part of a Graphical User Interface (GUI), and that also include the important idea of input and output, but that would be the the screen & keyboard.  I/O to files is also important and would be part of original sequences.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.