!Rhubarb! asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

How to stop therapy? I have been seeing a therapist but I no longer feel it helps, how do I quit?

I know mental health services are suppose to be about the client but still how do I say bye?

Favorite Answer

You are correct....it is all about the client!

And so if you feel you are not getting what you are paying for, you REALLY NEED TO TELL THE THERAPIST THIS FACT.

You can tell the therapist the following:

1)  I don't feel I am making any progress and so I am leaving therapy.

2)  Therapy is no longer helping me achieve my goals and so I am leaving therapy.

3)  I feel you have done all you can for me and so I am leaving therapy.

4)  I am really not getting what I need from therapy and so I have decided to leave.

• Just tell them you think it's not working for you. You may want to consider changing to another psychiatrist too, just a possibility.Good luck and God bless.

If it's not court ordered then just don't go.

Just tell your therapist that you think that you don’t need it anymore and that it’s helped you enough that you think you can move on. 

Until you tell them that you can't see how they are helping, they'll never try anything different.  It is all called "money."   Have you tried the One who can really help, the Lord Jesus Christ?

writing a letter is probably easier.

• Chanel

It is trial and error with any kind of talking therapy. I know a woman who has severe P.T.S.D. She is now 55 years old and had a breakdown because of the memories and the flashbacks.

Her therapist was a girl in her early twenties. No disrespect but what would she know about 55 years of flashbacks and nightmares. This lady just did not turn up and when contacted said nonchalantly "I forget".

Anyway back to the point it is difficult when you do not know how to say it without hurting their feelings.

Also try and access other services that will help you or speak to your doctor about it and see what he/she can suggest.

There are helplines that you can phone and that is also trial and error but don't give up.

• kelvin

stop going..............

• Helen

You should be able to tell your therapist how you feel. How long have you been going to therapy, and is it a paid service or free on the NHS? If it hasn't been very long then perhaps you need to give it more time - these things don't work overnight. 

On the other hand if you have been going for years and paying good money, you need to address with your therapist why you don't feel you're getting results.It can also happen that a client and therapist are not a good fit, in which case you might benefit from seeing someone different. I would examine the reasons why you don't think it's working, and be honest with yourself - are you doing everything they advise you to do?

• Andy C

Just say that you don't feel like any progress is being made.