Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareOther - General Health Care · 2 months ago

Is it correct to call alcoholism a disease?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

No. Its a mental condition, like any other addiction. A disease has several properties, like transmissability, that alcoholism does not

• 1 month ago

Problem drinking that becomes severe is given the medical diagnosis of “alcohol use disorder” or AUD. AUD is a chronic relapsing brain disorder characterized by an impaired ability to stop or control alcohol use despite adverse social, occupational, or health consequences.

• 1 month ago

I think so- disease=a disorder of structure or function in a human, animal, or plant, especially one that produces specific symptoms or that affects a specific location and is not simply a direct result of physical injury.

Alcoholism seems to satisfy this criteria. To all the people saying they have choice to stop, they don't! (its not that easy)

Source(s): Definition from Oxford Languages
  • 2 months ago

It is technically correct I think, but it is the result of a choice. An alcoholic chooses to start drinking and can choose to stop. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • kelvin
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

no it's wrong to call it that as it's an addiction and not a disease and a disease is something you can spread and an addiction isn't

• Brian
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The word disease means: a disorder of structure or function in a human, animal, or plant, especially one that produces specific signs or symptoms or that affects a specific location and is not simply a direct result of physical injury.

It also means: a particular quality, habit, or disposition regarded as adversely affecting a person or group of people.

The second definition of "habit" as in habit of drinking, would imply it is a disease.

• 2 months ago

i think its a disease too

• 2 months ago

People throw the word "disease" around too easily.

DIS = NOT.  Dis-ease (not di-sease) = NOT at ease. Meaning not healthy.

I look at it more like a "result" caused by a person's choice to drink alcohol even when their body can't keep it under control.

• 2 months ago

I don't like to generalize specific things as a disease.  Addiction is a disease, and it doesn't have to be drugs or alcohol.  Overuse of anything that stimulates the pleasure center of your brain almost always results in suppressing real emotions, minimizing thoughts and actions allowing escalation, and damaging the cognitive behavioral functions.

• 2 months ago

Yes some people who suffer from alcoholism meet their demise in some cases

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.