Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

What causes someone to become a pedophile and is it a mental illness or just an evil person ?

Update:

Not any kind of pedo myself.  Asking after  learning of an old teacher of mine abusing a child which shocked me.  

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Helen
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Not all pedophiles are evil, although some are. The term seems to go hand in hand with child abuse, but not all pedophiles make the choice to abuse children. The term pedophile only refers to someone who is sexually attracted to children.

Watch the program The Pedophile Next Door. 

Pedophilia is a sexuality - much like being straight, gay, or bi.

It certainly isn't a choice, although of course, there is no justification for abusing a child.

• 2 months ago

There are so many differed kinds of people born every minute of every day.

Just like there are heterosexuals, homosexuals, asexuals, transgender and lesbians, there are pedophiles. There are evil people and there are kind people as well as genius and idiots born every day. With that  there are humanitarians and criminals as well.

So, you see, there are all types of people that make up our society. In some countries 12 year old girls are married off to grown men. Some cultures consist of men with several wives. What is normal in one culture is frowned upon in other cultures. What is illegal here is,perfectly acceptable elsewhere.

It all boils down to the human condition and what society dictates what is right and what is wrong. There was a time when homosexuality was deemed evil and wrong. But now, now it is becoming more acceptable. So are transvestites, transgenders and binary individuals.

Perhaps one day having sex with children will be okay? Yeah, that turns my stomach and I personally think it is disgusting, but maybe in the future things may change and it will be accepted. Stranger things have happened....

• 2 months ago

Usually people who are pedophiles have been sexually abused as children themselves.  Also, they are mostly white heterosexual men who cannot find women partners.  They also like the idea of having sexual power over someone who is helpless like a child.

No, they cannot function sexually.

• 2 months ago

This is what gets me about pedophilia.

A person who is an alcoholic is considered to have a mental disorder. Even though a person has the choice to drink or not to he/she can get free help to fight their addiction.

A smoker who had the free choice to smoke or not can get tons of free help to stop.

Being gay is said that the person was born that way and now have more rights than straights.

I don't think a pedophile just one day wakes up and decides to be one. It's got to be a mental disorder the person was born with.

Yet nothing is done.

There is very little mental/medical studies being done. The is very little treatment centers devoted to the problem.

It's proven that even physical or chemical castration will not stop the  pedophilia drive. It's in the mind!!!!!

The answer our society has come up with is to put any pedophile in prison to be tortured and killed by the other inmates.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

It could come from past abuse or it could be an unfortunate person who is just like that who didn’t choose it, like how people don’t choose to be gay, straight or bi. But that does not justify acting on the desires since it’s horrible for kids, but as long as a pedo doesn’t act on their thoughts at all, then they aren’t “evil”. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No, pedophiles hold regular norms and values. Some have high ethical standards, others are like most of us, and some are downright evil. It is the latter you will hear about in the news which creates the myth that all pedophiles are evil people.

Did you know that of all convicted child molesters only 1 in 5 is actually a pedophile? Source: Page 64. Sorry, for now n Dutch only.

Pedophilia is a sexual orientation. Not a very handy one to have to be honest. It is not a mental illness. Some pedophiles have great difficulty coping in life as a pedophile. For them it certainly is a disorder. You can't cure the sexual orientation, but you can certainly learn how to deal with being a pedophile in a healthy constructive lifestyle.

• LAN
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Since this person is just going to constantly post pedophilia questions over and over and Yahoo does nothing to stop him, send a link to this question to the FBI with this link to express your concerns about this persons potential threat to any children near him....https://www.fbi.gov/tips.    As soon as I hit submit I will be doing this myself.

• 2 months ago

There is no single cause for any mental disorder. Many of these people were sexually abused as children, not just once,  but on a regular basis. There's also a strong link with chronic brain injuries - football players have a (relatively) high rate of pedophilia.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It’s neither of these things. It is a sexual preference. Fortunately most pedophiles don’t act on their desires.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

i think it has to do with their early upbringing. Also have heard that people who were abused when young  often abuse others

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.