Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Are English people polite in listening to the opinions of others in a debate whether they agree or not, as Mary Beard is on Radio 4 calling ?

someone ludicrous and laughing like a hyena throughout the show, because of someone's opinion that ancient Rome fell due to giving the masses free corn, without considering that this might be true and not listening to the opinion on how it might have happened

Note I asking about personality, not about history 

If answering, can you answer the question without concentrating only on the example then given 

As an expert she would probably find it laughable if someone gets it so wrong. I know I do.

I don't know anything about this incident, but if you are criticising Mary Beard for laughing at someone's opinion about ancient  Rome, you should first "consider" that she is a very, VERY eminent expert on ancient Rome herself and is more likely than almost anyone to know whether this was or wasn't true.

• gerald

The media is full of very bigotted staff from tv to radio to newspapers there is a regular gravy train moving around as hosts and guests of each others domain giving the same crap that has led to this appalling place and time in history and they say the government mislead us , 

You cannot judge a whole country based on the behavior of one person.

• Marli

There are a lot of jackass types all over the world, braying their voices at anything they think is ridiculous.

As for Rome's fall being due to giving the masses free corn,  I disagree because the corn dole was started when Rome was a republic, and Rome fell more than three centuries later.

I think it is a good answer though.  The Romans expected the corn dole, and if it was tightened up or stopped, the masses could riot against the consuls or the emperor. That could destabilize an administration or be a cause of a civil war.  There were certainly demagogues in the latter Roman Republic.  Clodius Pulcher,  Milo, Julius Caesar, Pompey, anyone who wanted to buy votes would  either put the grain dole problem on their platform or give the people more free grain.