Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 months ago

Do you think it’s cheaper to buy salads at restaurants or make salads at home ?

My husband refuses to make salads at home because he doesn’t want to buy all of the ingredients the lettuce the spinach bacon bits cheese Croutons chicken dressing etc etc. he said he would probably spend about $30 just on ingredients. So he goes and buys the salads from chikfila that cost $7 a pop. What do you all prefer 

It is cheaper to make at home. That doesn't necessarily mean I "prefer" to shop, wash, chop, etc., just that it is always less expensive per serving to make something at home.  The mistake your husband is making in his math is that he would probably purchase well over a single serving of most of the items.  For example, a package of croutons might have 30 servings, not one.  A head of lettuce will make a few salads.  

Depends on the salad.

Right now,  my salads are almost free as they are coming out of my garden.

$30 of salad fixings will make A LOT of salads.

The restaurants buy their food at wholesale, but having worked in a restaurant kitchen I can tell you that the ones *I* make at home are far better and far better quality ingredients, even when I’m not making them from my own homegrown produce.

BUMPER CROP of tomatoes this year, SO excited!!!

He doesnt need to eat a huge salad every time he makes one. Just some spinach, tomato, cucumber, and balsamic vinegar is tasty and the whole thing would cost $7 and youd have leftovers

• denise

Well, I've done both, If I'm not going to use the extra salad ingredients later in the week, I'll just buy a ready prepared pack. 

• F

For me it is right now. I have more lettuce than I can eat growing in my garden. Tomatoes and cucumber are just ready along with onions, beetroot and radishes. 

its clearly cheaper to make salad at home and store it in a little plastic container in the fridge.

I use feta cheese with salad as a side along with meatballs with spaghetti pasta and a few pieces of garlic bread.

thats a winner.

It is never cheaper to buy food from a restaurant than to make it at home.  It doesn't take $30 to make one salad.   We buy Mexican food.  I buy it without rice and beans and while my wife picks it up I can microwave rice and beans.  Cost is 25 cents but the ala carte mexican food is $3 cheaper.

Definitely cheaper to buy your own ingredients and make a salad at home. You may be spending more than what you would pay in a restaurant, but you will be able to make more than one salad, and most, if not all of the ingredients will be able to go in other dishes as well, making them more cost effective.

• kswck2

Prepackaged or even bagged salads have additional chemicals sprayed on them to give a longer shelf life. I don't want those extra chemicals on My food. 

As for hubby's $30 on ingredients, he is mistaken. Lettuce, tomatoes, etc are cheap-and one container is used several times, thus lowering the average cost of One salad. And fresher tastes better. As for dressings, you can probably make several different kinds just from what you already have in your pantry. Oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, some dried spices-instant Italian dressing; Ketchup, mayo, relish-instant Thousand Island dressing. Leave out the relish-French Dressing. 

Things like bacon bits and croutons can be made from home-leftover chopped bacon, stale bread, baked with some butter-none of which you have to Buy separately. 

• CB

"bacon bits cheese Croutons chicken dressing etc." All can be refrigerated, or are shelf stable or can be cooked and frozen for future salads. What does that leave Lettuce and spinach and if eating a salad 3 or 4 times a week the greens will be used up too.

So as previously stated your husband is and idiot an you are an idiot for not being able to convince him he is an idiot.