Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 4 months ago

how were people thinner back in the day?

genuine question: why were people one or two hundred years ago able to be so much skinnier than now. especially girls and young women. im not talking about back when they would use corsets. im talking about in the 1900s why was it so easy to stay slim. my grandma and all her friends were naturally size 0 or 2 and they would eat whatever they wanted and not exercise. same with my mom who grew up in the 60s and 70s. and not just her but generally most of her friends and people her age. and meanwhile to fit into my size 0/2 prom dress i ended up basically having to not eat for 3 weeks and do intense workouts because my waist was just too big and wouldn’t fit. i feel like back in the day people were thinner naturally and now it takes way more dieting and exercising to maintain that body.

Because they ate normal food - not junk and ready-meals!

although there is a lot of miss information on dieting, and what make us gain weight,  The main difference is the frig, by making food that contains chemicals to last for days if not weeks, the hormones, antibiotics, as well as sugars we put into our foods.  Fat is not as bad as some people think, as sugar is.   That's why the Atkins, diet works so well.  200 yrs ago, people ate more fat and a lot less sugar.  The Atkins diet, idea, is our bodies works best with 30% fat, 30% carbs or sugars, and 40% proteins If we eat more protein and fat and less sugar, our body will burn more fat that's in our body for sugar.  So lets say we take in 1500 calories but instead of 30% sugars or carbs, we take in 5% sugars\, 35% fat, and  60% proteins.  The body will burn fat we have for sugars to get the 30/30/40 racial.  So there is more than 1 reason why people were thinner 100-200 yrs ago. Including they had to grow and hunt for food.  spending 2-6 hours walking to hunt for food, burns a lot of calories, as well as they did not have as much food to eat.  

Physical labor back then was like working out, have you ever worked on a farm? Not easy, you burn mad calories, therefore you CAN have butter on EVERYTHING!! capiche?

Source(s): veteran athlete

I have looked seems like a lot more people were skinny in 1920's, 1930's, 1940's and 1950's.  My believe once fast food became a thing and popular things got out of hand.  1970's microwave was made , which very few people cook homemade meals.  

No fat food shops and we worked a 48 hour week

I was 15 working in a Blacksmiths shop

No Fat food Franchises and we worked harder and Longer

• kelvin

back than people weren't glued to their televisions as they actually got out and did work

• Tavy

Housework, scrubbing floors, scrubbing clothes, they were on the go 12 hours a day and cooked healthy food. My Grandma never sat down until 8 pm, bed at 9 and up at 6.

No soda/pop/fizzy drink. No fast food.

Sugar was a luxury and rationed.

Baked goods were made at home and often included chopping wood to light a fire to heat the oven.

Laundry was hard work, lighting a fire to boil water in the copper, etc.

They would have needed to grow vegetables, feed chooks and gather eggs etc to create a meal.

Cars were rare, most people walked everywhere.

Average meal serves were much smaller than today. Where today you probably have 1/4 chicken as a serve, with chips, a chicken was a special meal and would feed a family of 8 and would be eaten with whatever vegetables were in season. So many other examples!

• Droopy

They didn't have all the processed food we have now all high in sugar.  They where more active no tv, A/C.  You got out an did stuff.   An part of the problem with us be less active an inside the house causes us to graze eat all day.  Drink soda all day ect.

It's because of everything contains a lot of sugar now

Everything is really high-carb + people are overeating

Source(s): I started bodybuilding 1 year ago, had a lot to learn about nutrition