Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 2 months ago

Will the technician have to come indoor to install my internet?

A RCN technician is scheduled to install my internet Monday but my mom doesn’t want me to bring anyone inside the house due to the Covid situation. Based on the pictures is it possible to have the technician do the job without having to come inside my house? By the way, I’m using my own modem and I connected the coaxial cable to the modem. It’s the black cable running through my AC unit. After I did that my old wifi popped in my laptop. So idk what else the tech has to do to activate it

• P

That would largely depend on the quality of the current cable you want to hook it up to and the type of internet service you selected.   I'm sure the installer would be willing to work with you, since I don't think he would need to get inside if you gave him the right information about your modem.  

yes it cames when it true

• BigE

The tech should be able to connect to the splitter you have outside and test/provision.  It would be better off the end inside your room,  but he should be able to look at the cable and make sure it is rg6 compliant.

He might also need a extension cord thrown out the window if setting up your modem.

The best part of this is the tech should be able to take a signal reading to make sure you don't have a signal problem, like a bad spliiter or uncapped lines.  For instance, my tech installed a signal booster when I had low signal.

I guess yes, but you can follow safety precautions to avoid covid.

• Anton

I wanted to switch from DSL to Cable.  Told them I want to cable to the house, outside, and I will extend the cable myself.  I brought my laptop outside, he connected the modem to the cable, cable to my laptop, tested up being UP.  No problem.

He must.He has to check you get the internet on cable end.Cable end is inside .Technicians must wear mask inside.

• David

Possibly - he may have to verify the the connection inside is acceptable and working as intended. In UK virgin media will only allow the cable to be fitted by the engineer. Otherwise if the connection was dodgy  the might be liable for a call out to fix it through no fault of their own

No. unless it is a cable ISP and you already have the cable run.

Call the ISP for detailed information on your specific service.