Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Is she mean? How should I respond?

I told her that I enjoy working with her but she said that she does not want to work with me, and when i told her that Id really like to keep working with her on a project, she said that she finds working with me difficult because I finish work last time and you don't communicate properly with me about when you plan to finish your work... when I told her that I was disappointed in her decision, she told me that she would prefer if I stop calling her, and if I want to communicate with her in future it is only email or msgs. 

Is she being a mean person?

• Daisy

No. She's told you in several kind ways to stay away and mind your own business.  There is probably more to this story than what you're telling us.  I would stay away or she will report to HR or it's equivalent at your workplace.

No. She is not mean. She voiced that you are difficult to work with and that you are a poor communicator. This is why she only wants to communicate with you electronically. That is because there will be a written record of your conversations. There is nothing for you to do but respect her wishes a d perhaps improve your communication skills.

I run a business out of my home and work by appointment only. I had this client who was a horrible communicator, she was both unable to make or keep an appointment and dropped by my house without an appointment four times in one week. We could have done our business with one single meeting, but she was a  breeze brain and kept forgetting to give me pertanant things for me to complete her project. She even dropped something off outside my house, on a Saturday calling for rain while I was away over night. She texted me asking if my neighbor could retrieve what she dropped off, as to keep it dry. Never in the 40 years of conducting business out of my home, have I ever worked with such a self entitled witch.

She failed to either read or absorb information and asked the same questions over and over. She suggested I reduce the quality of my work to save her money. She treated me like an unwanted step child. I hated doing business with her.

I finished the project and was paid (had a detailed contract). Thank god that job was done. Oh no, she wanted to hire me for another project. I told her I was too busy and gave her recommendations of other businesses. 

So, I can understand why working with poor communicators is frustrating and high maintenance.

• drip

No they were not mean at all. Sounds like you kept telling her you want to keep working with her until she had to give you reasons why she doesn’t want to work with you. Her reasons sound valid. 

She asked you to stop calling her. Have you been calling her frequently?  

Listen to what she said. Why she doesn’t want to work with you. Do you think her reasons are valid? Take the time to re-evaluate your work. 

What is the context here?  Working together on a project requires focus and responsibility from all parties involved, and ideally, if there are any issues/concerns, they are discussed openly and a resolution is found.  Assuming there is no obligation for this person to work with you again, this decision has been made in a way that makes sense for them.  You not agreeing with or understanding the decision does not negate its significance for your colleague.  Ultimately, you decide how much emotional attention you want to give this matter and if you truly want more clarification from your colleague, you will have to go directly to the source.  However, this woman is not obliged to respond/follow up.

sounds mean, i wouldnt bother responding at all

She is not being mean. She has told you why she does not want to work with you. Obviously you need to change your work habits. 

• East

She's being b_tchy.  At least she's direct and you know where you stand with her.  Don't bother speaking to her ever again unless you have to on a work project; focus on others.  At least she saved you from wasting time in the future because now you know that any efforts to be nice to her will be wasted.  But didn't you ask this before?

• g

No. She's being very straightforward. Someone isn't necessarily mean simply because you disagree with them. Stop calling her and stop pushing yourself on her.

"How should I respond?"  You don't.  She already told you not to contact her.  There's obviously more to this story.  Let's hear it.