Lia asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 2 months ago

Would you say vegan eating smokers develop issues slower?

Don’t worry, I’m not stupid, I know it probably wouldn’t, but I just had a thought about how some meats contribute to cancer, I’m not sure what though- would you say those who eat vegan have slower effects, especially very healthy eating ones?

Also, @crimliar I didn’t say I was vegan, it was a question and I said those who eat vegan. It won’t let me reply to your comment, hopefully you see. Eating vegan and being vegan is a difference 

Different type of cancer. Overall you'll be healthier as a vegan smoker and have a lower overall probability of cancer but lung cancer probability would remain the same. So it is sort of a yes and a no. 

• Jeff H

The idea that some meats contribute to cancer has been, sort of, proven by several studies however you have to understand what they actually say.  The meat considered most likely to contribute to an increased chance of cancer is processed meat products.  However it is not the meat but the chemicals they use to preserve the meat that actually are linked to the majority of issues.  Red meat is believed to contribute to certain cancers but other types of meat are not.  So while a vegan diet may reduce the chances of getting cancer it in no way prevents it and, in fact, may contribute to certain types of cancer (some areas with a higher intake of vegetation in their diet are linked to above average incidents of certain cancers).

The main issue is that it "increases the chance of getting "X" cancer" meaning that if it increases the chance of getting a cancer by 25% and the chance of getting that particular cancer is 4% then the chance of getting it increases to 5%.  A 1% chance would increase to 1.25% and so on.  It does not mean that if the chance of getting a cancer is 4% eating meat will increase it to 29% or, in the second example, 26%.

Meat doesn't cause cancer. Those who are making such bogus claims are liars with an agenda. It's nothing but fear mongering.

Meat is good for us. The anti meat agenda is based on lies and disinformation (deliberately being used to deceive people). The reason why some people are trying to push this anti meat agenda is because they want to weaken us - because they are power hungry psychopaths who want to enslave us under a dictatorship and kill us off. That is their goal.

Now cigarettes, on the other hand, are bad for you. If you smoke, you do risk stuff like COPD, emphysema, and/or lung cancer. I've personally never smoked. I learned about the dangers of smoking, drinking alcohol, and abusing drugs when I was a kid. And I decided, as a kid, that I didn't want to go that route. And I'm 35 years old, and I still don't smoke or drink or abuse drugs to this day. And I never will.

I'm also a meat eater. I don't fall for the anti meat propaganda. According to the Bible, the anti meat propaganda is a doctrine of devils. Read 1 Timothy 4:1-6.

Are you not aware that food goes in your stomach & cig smoke goes in your lungs? One has nothing to do with the other.

Meat doesnt cause cancer. 

No a vegan diet doesnt prevent or slow cancer growth

• Anton

hrrmp....  What are you trying to say?

A healthy diet is about 80% vegetable, 10% meat, 10% dairy and fungi.

IMO, smokers eat less healthy, mainly because their food does not taste as good.

"Develop issues slower" is a "WTF are you talking about?"

• lo_mcg

No.

‘Some meats contribute to cancer’, you say? The facts are these:

A diet high in red and (especially) processed meat is known to be THE major risk factor for colorectal cancers; such a diet is also thought to be a possible risk factor for stomach cancer; and a diet high in meat and fat is thought to be a possible risk factor for pancreatic cancer.

There have been a couple of studies whose findings suggest that a diet high in dairy might be a possible risk factor for prostate cancer. Other studies have found no such link.

That's it for the suspected links between meat and dairy and the 200+ types of cancer. A vegan diet would avoid those risks, but no more so than a diet that included meat but avoided or very much restricted red and processed meats.

Smoking is a risk factor for a few of the 200+ types of cancer. It is thought to be a risk factor for colon, stomach and pancreatic cancers; a risk factor is not a cause.

Source(s): I’m a non-smoking vegan who got cancer

How are cigarettes which can contain traces of animal products in them, and have decades of being tested on animals "vegan"?  I'll bet you wear leather shoes too!

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking!

There are no meats that “contribute to cancer” but there is strong evidence suggesting that eating a LOT of some meats, or meat cooked in a particular way, increases the incidence of some types of cancer. It doesn't work in reverse though: eating no meat at all does NOT lessen the incidence of those cancers. Also, so far as I know there's no evidence suggesting that not consuming eggs, dairy products or honey lessens the incidence of any cancer.

The cancers related to smoking are not associated at all with the cancers linked to eating any kind of meat. A vegan diet will have NO beneficial effect on smoking-related cancers.

I would assume that a healthy person, regardless of their diet, would have a better chance of surviving cancer than a person who was unhealthy.