Why are conservatives so reluctant to embrace identity politics ?

It’s the way of the future and for good reason.  

Because conservatives see it is better to look at what's good for the country as opposed to the individual. Eliminating student debt for example would benefit me a lot, but I know it'll make the situation worse. 

Identity politics also breaks people up by features of the person they have no control off. I believe people should be measured by the content of their character and not the color of their skin.

• Prince

You mean with the single exception of our own Identity. You are going to be tolerant and liberal towards every group . . . except ours. You would despoil us. You tear down my ancestral statues and monuments and vilify me and presume upon my fighting for you with breathtaking arrogance all the while assuming that absolutely any non- White shall prove to be of a higher moral character and you will be treated better under Jihadist Overlords than you were under Conservative Christian Whites, forgetting the Gays thrown off of rooftops by islamist State and all of the gang rapes of little girls and beheadings of women and yet, because they are not White you defend Muslims with your last breath and don't imagine how far from Roe versus Wade THOSE people will push you. You are actually expecting me to HELP you dig up my own ancestors and despoil myself and my people and welcome the illegal entry of people because they're brown, while being oblivious and doggedly blind to your bigotry against White.

How so? From what I gathered, they are super into it. While the progressives promote identities by allegiance to skin color, conservatives promote identities by national interest and respect for the country's founding principles. Identify with MAGA? That's an identity right there.

Conservatives care about results and are willing to sacrifice personal characteristics.  Liberals tend to be more about personal characteristics than results.

Skin color and gender are terrible reasons to support or reject a candidate.Barack Obama was an eloquent and intelligent individual that many independent conservatives voted for, with 10 million more votes and just shy of 200 more electoral votes than military man and career politicians John McCain (Sarah Palin is pretty much why).  When he did not deliver as expected on the economy and international relations, he lost a lot of those votes, only beating Romney by 5 million votes and 120 more electoral votes.Now we have Donald Trump as president, who has delivered on the kinds of things that matter to many conservatives.  He is a modern day John Adams or Andrew Jackson - very unpleasant and abrasive, but that matters less to conservatives than it does liberals.  

I honestly do not see Joe Biden winning in November because he lacks the charisma of someone like Obama, has a fairly unimpressive record in the Senate, and is pulling a John McCain by seeming to be partial to Kamala Harris as VP pick, as she was strongly rejected by voters in the primaries and has more criticism than positive reviews as attorney general of California and senator.  To vote for Biden simply because he may choose a very unpopular African American as his running mate would be foodhardy.

That all being said, I am sure there are jerks on either side who would vote for a white candidate over a candidate of color.  That's identity politics too, so if what's good for the goose is good for the gander.  I would rather someone vote for a better qualified non-white over a white person any day.

And that's basically what identity politics are all about.  Voting for someone because of characteristics completely irrelevant to the duties of running a country.  I am glad most conservatives reject it and I wish liberals would as well.

Because we should be voting the resume not the "identity" of the candidate.

What do you think white supremacism and Christian identity are?  It's even in the name of the second one.

I am mixed with so many different cultures don't know which one to choose. I'm 25% afro-cuban black so I'm probably going to go with that even though I'm white as hell.

They love identity politics. White identity. Straight pride. Christian identity

Please tell me you aren't really this ignorant. Identity politics is all about voting for someone based primarily on what someone is, NOT about their experience or suitability for the job.

I think it's the self-appointed elite that gets to dictate which "identities" matter at any given point that's the issue....

....at least to anyone past the educational level where they've read and understood the messages in the book "Animal Farm".....