Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 2 months ago

Is this algae safe for my aquarium?

I’m not sure what kind this algae is but I know regular algae isn’t really harmful. I like the looks of this and it’s not transferring anywhere else or clouding the water so I’d like to know if it’s okay to keep in my community tank. Thanks!   

• kswck2

Algae grows due to light, food in the water, etc. And it doesn't hurt anything, but sometimes looks bad. But it is fine for the tank. 

Algae is a live plant, nothing unhealthy there.  Sometimes algae grow for unhealthy reasons, like too much food, or too many fish in the tank.  So be sure to test you water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.  And keep up with water changes.   But if nothing is wrong, algae is completely fine. 

It is because of certain light hitting the water. It is also a sign of how good the water quality is in your tank..too many nutrients in the water can cause blooms