What makes atheism not a religion?

You need to have faith GOD does not exist... and they seem to be prous of their faith... since they come here everyday to tell us GOD does not exist...

Update:

PROUD*

70 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Leave them in the grip of the Devil, at the end of this earthly life they will find themselves before the judgment of God, and, their atheistic conviction will end up burned in eternal hell!

We believe in all of God's creation, and we study ourselves, with His help to observe His laws, to be with Him, with the angels, and for those who will be saved, in His paradise.

• Phil M
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Faith is not exclusive to religion. I have faith in many things, god just doesn't happen to be one of them. I have faith that the sun will come up tomorrow. I also have faith that the future of humanity will be better than most of its past. It doesn't make me religious. Words are fun, and quite useful if you know their true meanings.

• 2 months ago

Legally they can be.   IRS recognizes a number of atheist churches. 

• 2 months ago

Atheism is a worldview, as theism, or more specifically, Biblical Christianity is a worldview.  But Atheism is also recognized as a religion, according to the US Supreme Court.

Regarding the Federal Court decisions and definitions, The Seventh Circuit Court has delivered a definition for Atheism and that definition recognizes Atheism as a Religion, and I quote:

=================

"We address his claim under the Free Exercise Clause first.   An inmate retains the right to exercise his religious beliefs in prison. Tarpley v. Allen County, 312 F.3d 895, 898 (7th Cir.2002).   The problem here was that the prison officials did not treat atheism as a "religion," perhaps in keeping with Kaufman's own insistence that it is the antithesis of religion.   But whether atheism is a "religion" for First Amendment purposes is a somewhat different question than whether its adherents believe in a supreme being, or attend regular devotional services, or have a sacred Scripture.   The Supreme Court has said that a religion, for purposes of the First Amendment, is distinct from a "way of life," even if that way of life is inspired by philosophical beliefs or other secular concerns.   See Wisconsin v. Yoder, 406 U.S. 205, 215-16, 92 S.Ct. 1526, 32 L.Ed.2d 15 (1972).   A religion need not be based on a belief in the existence of a supreme being (or beings, for polytheistic faiths), see Torcaso v. Watkins, 367 U.S. 488, 495 & n. 11, 81 S.Ct. 1680, 6 L.Ed.2d 982 (1961);  Malnak v. Yogi, 592 F.2d 197, 200-15 (3d Cir.1979) (Adams, J., concurring);  Theriault v. Silber, 547 F.2d 1279, 1281 (5th Cir.1977) (per curiam), nor must it be a mainstream faith, see Thomas v. Review Bd., 450 U.S. 707, 714, 101 S.Ct. 1425, 67 L.Ed.2d 624 (1981);  Lindell v. McCallum, 352 F.3d 1107, 1110 (7th Cir.2003).------------United States Court of Appeals,Seventh Circuit, KAUFMAN v. McCAUGHTRY, James J. KAUFMAN, Plaintiff-Appellant, v. Gary R. McCAUGHTRY, et al., Defendants-Appellees, No. 04-1914.

========================

The First Amendment clause that relates to religion reads this way:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

Atheists generally do not espouse any worship, only the denial (for the most part) of the existence of God (Pew Research actually identifies several kinds of atheism - https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/12/06/1...

On the other hand, the definition of religion, as the Bible defines it, is much more specific, and does include the authority and exclusive worship of one God as our Father:

Deuteronomy 6:4, 5

4 “Listen, O Israel: Jehovah our God is one Jehovah. 5 You must love Jehovah your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your strength.

Matthew 22:37, 38

37 He said to him: “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.’ 38 This is the greatest and first commandment.

James 1:27

27 The form of worship* that is clean and undefiled from the standpoint of our God and Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in their tribulation, and to keep oneself without spot from the world.

* or, "religion"

Matthew 22 quoted Jesus who said that the scripture that we know as Deuteronomy 6:4-5 is the greatest and first commandment.  Also, the word for "form of worship" or "religion" is thréskeia: literally meaning religion or ceremonial worship. 

Source(s): New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures (Study Edition) https://www.quora.com/Has-the-U-S-Supreme-Court-re... Biblehub
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Cris
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

You don't believe in thousands of gods that human cultures have believed in. We have this in common. I also don't believe in Thor, Aphrodite, Quetzalcoatl, etc.

I bet you have zero "faith"  they don't exist, you just don't see any evidence for them (just like me)

I just take it ONE god  further- the particular one that you were indoctrinated with from birth. 

BTW:  Most atheists are agnostic atheists- they don't know of any gods, so they don't believe in them.  Anyone that asserts there are no gods is making a positive (unfounded) assertion, and this generally only happens with "strong atheism"  or gnostic atheism. 

Source(s): Study of comparative religion, myths, logic, science,etc.
  • Caesar
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Atheism is not a religion for the same reason theism is not a religion... or you think theism is a religion Greg... If I believe you are proud of your ignorance, a Religion? Maybe gods are real but need to hide invisibly in the supernatural, for all their believers nonsense... Gee Zeus

• Paul
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

A religion is based on beliefs, not absence of belief.

• 2 months ago

Atheism is an opinion, opposed to theism, deism and theological non-cognitivism.  Religion has a number of characteristics such as rituals, an ethical code and a total world view.  Atheism per se has none of these, although anti-theist metaphysically naturalistic atheism combined with scientific realism in a Western context does tend to have a set of beliefs which could be said to amount to a belief system.  However, there are atheist Christians, atheist Jews and all Jains and Spiritualists are atheist, so they are religious and atheist but that doesn't make atheism a religion.  Theism is similarly an opinion, often but not always associated with religion, but not a religion in itself.

• 2 months ago

Lack of any God.

• 2 months ago

Well, your "You need to have faith GOD does not exist" allowed me to quickly realize that someone who knows little or nothing about religion yet seems to believe the bible is a book of only true statements. An atheist does not have a guidebook as various religions do, we don't have churches nor regular meeting places, and we don't have anyone trying to tell us how to live, and for that freedom we pay nothing, unlike you for example, who pays every time you go to a church, if someone is married at a church they have to pay for something that is in general worthless as a legal procedure, and the newly weds still have to register their marriage, which not until then are they actually married. Oh, have you ever thought about why you are a believer? Because you are a sucker, and know nothing about whatever religion you might be a member thereof.

• 2 months ago

I don't come here to tell you that God does not exist.  I come here to tell you that I don''t believe in God.

You may be PROUD, but from what I've seen of you here on Y/A, you don't have much to be proud about.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.