Asep
Asep asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 2 months ago

What are the chances of someone with hypertension and type 2 diabetes dying from covid?

Depends on the individual. We cannot assess any individual, only large groups.

Pretty much the same as anyone with HBP, but doesn't have diabetes. One they have to be infected, and two have to get so sick that their bodies need support beyond drugs to survive.

Of course it all depends on how soon or late they present with symptoms that need medical attention. If you have mild symptoms and no cascade of failures, then little or no chance of dying. If major problems and you are critical early on, no telling. But chances are high in that instance that you may very well pass from the effects as systems fail to respond to treatments. 

I work in home hospice and home care. Of clients I have had that passed away due to covid-19, only one had diabetes, and she was 92 years old. All the other have various conditions, mostly respiratory (COPD, emphysema, lung cancers), a few from pneumonia from other causes. All between the ages of 29 to 50s.

So far, knock on wood, universal precautions on my and the client, and their families parts, I'm testing negative for covid, even though I have type 2 diabetes as and underlying condition.