Do I need a oil change? ?

I have a 2019 corolla that had been sitting in the driveway for a year, lightly driven.

It has almost 20,000 miles on it. The oil hasn’t been changed and no warning indicator light is flashing on my dash to change the oil. 

Update:

Someone else was changing the oil up to the first of 2020

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Change the oil and the filter now.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Driving a car involves MIRE than acting only when a light comes on.  You need to change the oil on a schedule according to its type and the mileage. 

Driving a new car for 20,000 miles is irresponsible.  You also need to check the level of the oil regularly. 

It explains this in the Owner's Manual.  There is more to driving a car then putting in gasoline.  Much more. 

-General automotive mechanic since 1972

• 1 month ago

Toyota says change the oil every 5000 miles by lighting up a "maintenance required" light on the dash. That light should have come on 4 times so far and if you've never seen it, you've had the car less than 5000 miles since the last oil change. I'm guessing you're not the original owner. Oil doesn't go bad just sitting in the driveway. Wait for the light to come on and enjoy not spending money yet.

• Thomas
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You don't need one.

Your car needs one.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

yes, go ahead and get it done.

• F
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

OMG! Your should have changed it before now. Every 75 yards to be safe and use good ol mineral oil that the Lord gave us out of the ground of the good ol US of A. Don’t use that synthetic sh1t, work of the devil !

• 2 months ago

Change the oil now because it should be changed once each year no matter the miles driven. If you drive it regularly then change it every 5,000 miles. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Snowblower, weed eater, trimmer, lawnmower, 2 stroke oil and now no oil change TROLL strikes again.

Attachment image
  • 2 months ago

So are you just stupid or do you like buying motors? The oil needs changing every 3,000 miles or every 5,000 if you're running synthetic oil. You also need to check the oil level every 1,000 miles between oil changes and keep the oil level topped up. If the oil level drops more than half way down between the upper and lower dipstick marks the cam advance actuator is going to seize up.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Expat
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Yes. A year is a long time for the oil. 20,000 miles in a year is a lot of driving. You should change it every 3,000 miles. Don’t wait for dummy lights. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.