Anonymous

How to work with a supervisor who always finds fault in everything ?

I'm so annoyed at my supervisor. We are working on a project and last Friday, she'd looked at the points on my PowerPoint slide, approved them and requested that I finish it by Monday (yes, working over the weekend). So I worked over the weekend and got it done.

Earlier today, I presented the work to her and she started nitpicking all the points even though she had approved them last week. It's incredibly frustrating when everything I do always seems to be wrong in some way or another.BTW, I'm an intern and I've got 4 days left before I'm done. Any advice on how to survive the next 4 days? I'm sure she'll find something to complain about my work again tomorrow and I'm dreading it so much. :(

I agree, it can be frustrating when you put your heart and soul into something and then someone comes along and tears it to shreds.  But, ask yourself this, “Why do you think she took the time to critique your work so closely?”

If you answered, “Because she thinks I have potential and she wants to hone my raw talent,” you would be half right.

You’re smart, so what’s the other half?  Why else would she share her skill and insight with you?  When you figure that out you’ll have her eating out of the palm of your hands.  

You're taking this way too personally.  Consider this next 4 days an opportunity to begin work on a new mindset based on understanding the difference between feedback on your work and criticism of you.    

As for having to work on the weekends, well, welcome to the real world.  

I think you need to find a new line of work.

Hey, professional employees, raise your hand if you worked this weekend.

Oh, looks like many people in the room. 

Let's re-ask the question.

Hi, professional employees, raise your hand if there is some weekend since January 1 that you worked.  

Hmmm, I don't see a single hand that is not raised.

= grow up.

the manager wanted it changed.  There is a difference between what she approved conceptually last week and what she saw in the "final" product today.

- you need to change how you view what she is suggesting.  She is likely not calling them "errors" (if she was complacent, it likely would have been fine), she is showing you how to improve it. 

Just quit. Or take drugs.

• Eva

Grit your teeth and ride it out.  It's only 4 days.

You were paid to do the work.    Ok, your boss wanted you to change some things.   So what?  That's life.   

Not everyone is going to like or approve of everything you do.  Welcome to adulthood.

• Jay

Tequila.  You won't be there in 4 days...so imagine yourself drinking tequila on your patio.