Visiting California With Firearms?

hello, next summer i plan on road tripping from Montana to California and i would like to bring 2 of my firearms with me. I am curious if there is any issue i might have as im not aware of California gun laws and everything i read online contradicts itself. I would like to bring a sig p365 and a savage axis 2. i dont plan on using them while in california, only on the way at ranges. Also i am visiting Los Angeles if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance!

Favorite Answer

If you are driving thru a state they are not suppose to give you any grief.   But if you are driving into California as your end destination then you are going to have problems.   It is one of the most restrictive states in the USA.   You could go to a range and someone there sees your out of state plates on your car and you hauling out a gun and they call the cops.   Or the cops could be at the range already.    You must transport guns unloaded in a locked case.  Ammo has to be separate.    If you must bring a gun the rifle would be far less likely to get you into trouble.  

Californian who owns 24 guns.  Unload your guns.  Put them in a case. Lock them in the trunk.  Take your ammo. Lock it in the glove box, or in a lockable container in the passenger compartment. No problems. 

California is a liberal dump.