Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Oil change on Prius?

Hi, I just bought a used Prius from a dealership, none of the paperwork says when the last oil change was, so I was wondering if there was any way to tell or should I just take it in for a change even if it doesn’t need one?

My friend has a Toyota Yaris and she says her car gets a light on it to let her know it’s time to get the oil changes so I was wondering if there was something similar with the Prius or a different way to tell?

And how often should the oil be changed afterwards, is it just like a regular car? 

Thanks in advance, any info helps!

• F

Well does it run on electric 99% of the time as deluded owners claim, in which case why bother changing oil, or does it really run on petrol most of the time, in which case change the oil the same as any other car.

Drain it out and mail it back to Saudi Arabia, you don't need their oil in your car, you're better off without it.

If it sets your mind at ease have the oil and filter changed now, then you know where you are.  As for how frequently this should be done in future, look at the manual.

These reminders,  like the one on your friends car, are simply based on mileage, they don't analyse the oil, they simply trip when a certain number of miles have been covered as an aide memoire.

If the oil looks clear and is up to the upper dipstick mark the oil is likely fine. I'd go get the oil changed and if you use regular motor oil change it every 3,000 miles. If you use synthetic oil change it every 5,000 miles. You need the check the oil level every 1,000 miles between oil changes and keep it topped up. Don't use on board oil change reminders! They go too long before telling you to change the oil.

Change the oil now dealers never do it on a used car 

Change the oil.  Then you start reading the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual.

The best way to know when your oil was last changed is to change it, then note the date that was done. Since the engine in a Prius doesn't run all the miles the car is driven, watch for the "Maintenance required" light to come on. Usually that is reset each time the oil is changed. Since that light is not on now and the engine  probably has more than 5000 miles on it, oil has been changed in the past. I would also flush the engine with gunk or mechanic's engine flush to be sure no sludge is left behind and all the solid particulates are collected by the filter. Your owner's manual will tell the frequency for oil changes and how to reset the maintenance light.

Download an owner's manual. It is all in there.

• Barry

Ask the dealer as they will hold the maintenance records and advise you regarding oil changes. Older models need a change every 5000 miles. Later models every 10000 miles. You should also get an indication on the dashboard when the time approaches.

Change it- $25 is cheaper than new engine.