Tim asked in SportsFootball (American) · 4 months ago

Thoughts on The Rock buying the XFL?

Don’t see this doing well people weren’t really watching before it folded Dwayne will wish he spent it elsewhere not a good investment

• Steve
    Favorite Answer

Im holding out expectations for it. He and his investing group saw how it was not to be run, so maybe theres hope for it. This is a drop in the bucket for him anyway. 

• Sheep

He is moving on with life.

That is a horrible move!

• Cory

I'm angry his ex-wife gets so little respect as the only woman to actually own a sports league. 

I don't pay attention to anything a 50 year old guy who calls himself "The Rock" does. He's obviously a moron.

I don't believe that he will have much to do with the day to day operations.There are other partners and Dwayne is just the big name there.All I can say is we will see what happens

• Mier

Wasn’t The Rock and NFL reject at one point? It’s what made him turn to wrestling . 

• My guess is that he's buying it as part of their technology and player tracking data for gambling purposes.  Or, he's buying it and expecting the league to go under, in which case, he takes the write-off.

Johnson makes $90 million a year almost according to Forbes.  They paid $15 million for the XFL, and Johnson was NOT the only investor.  So don't cry for Johnson, he's going to be fine financially.

I definitely would have advised Johnson NOT to do this.  Especially not NOW.  But it's not a complete loss.  I'm sure they must have examined the few games that were played before corona shut it down and seem some promise there and decided that the brand and/or existing contracts made it desirable to keep the brand which people have actually heard of rather than starting from scratch.

But the NFL is a juggernaut, and while I DO think there is room in the sports calendar for summer football, I think it's kind of a low ceiling/low floor type of business venture.  You could lose your entire investment and more, yet even if it's successful what are you going to have?  You're not going to get NFL money or anything close to it.  

Rather laughable.

A guy who made his name acting in all fake wrestling that will probably try to turn the XFL into a football version of the same.

A rather bad investment on his part.