Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 4 months ago

If I am forced to move to a high crime area to find affordable housing, is the landlord obligated to ensure safety and prevent break-ins?

The only affordable housing is in a high crime drug area.   Isnt the landlord under some obligation to ensure that the apartment is safe to deter break-ins and theft?

Rick B..  You contradict yourself.   Break-ins would make the place unsafe

Surely the LL is responsible for things like bars on the windows, alarms on the entryways, etc?

If the doors and windows are inadequate and a break in happens..  I can sue the landlord for what was stolen from me.

The landlord should be installing shatterproof windows or bars!!!

Fair housing actually refers to them as "assistance animals in their laws"...  "ESA" is more of a laymans term..   But I AM QUALIFIED FOR ONE FOR A PHYSICAL CONDITION.   Arguing with me and telling me that Im not qualified is harrassment and discrimination  

I didnt "choose" a ground floor apartment...  Its the only thing affordable that is available.

And landlords DO NOT allow 3 people in a one bedroom.   The occupancy limit in my area is 2 per bedroom.   The average bedroom in an apartment is NOT BIG ENOUGH for 3.

Some bedrooms really dont even fit the occupancy guidelines to allow 2 per bedroom

And I have TWO jobs and still cant afford anywhere but a crime area.

People with physical issues DO qualify for assistance animals.. Which is what an ESA is..

https://www.humanesociety.org/resources/fair-housi...

There are MULTIPLE reasons why a 1 bedroom isnt an option for my situation.  So you can lay off on your one bedroom crap.

Im getting an ASSISTANCE ANIMAL then, smart ***.   And no, I dont have to specify to anyone what "kind"..  All I need is a note from my Dr reccomended the animal.   The LL doesnt even have to know what my medical issue is, because that would violate hippa laws

You dont know Jack crap about assistance animals.   All you know is how to make multiple yahoo accounts so you can get around getting blocked

The landlord isnt a victim.  The landlord chose to build or purchase in this area.   The landlord chose to set a low price here, while charging an insane amount on their other building in the good town.   The landlord is MAKING A PROFIT for doing NOTHING.. Hardly a victim

You have free will, correct?  You are not drafted to live in any particular neighborhood, but choose an area where rents are less expensive, to wit, a "bad neighborhood," so you can stretch your earned dollars. Ever heard the old adage, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade"?  

I once bought a house in a depressed area of South St. Louis, but on two bus lines, for about $30,000 using my veteran status for a GI Bill loan ($0 down) shortly after an Alzheimer's-afflicted Reagan' corporate-colluding puppeteers fired PATCO (the Air Traffic Controllers union) and declared ALL OUT WAR on our nation's full-time workers---the beginning of the GOP's Era of [Corporate] Greed that took us into recession ("America, What Went Wrong?" by Donald Bartlett & James Steele, 1991).  Parents in my new neighborhood lost their full-time good-benefits jobs and had to take on two or three part-time jobs without any benefits just to make ends meet. This meant that their kids would be coming home from school to empty houses until at least one parent could get home, and the term "latchkey kids" was born---kids with no adult supervision who hung together with other latchkey kids for an hour or more, looking for mischief.  What began as mischief in the inner city soon formed into gang wannabes throwing rocks at motorists or harassing people on the sidewalks, and then (if not alleviated with community actions, into full-blown destructive gangs. This did not happen in my new neighborhood, however.  Why?  Because as soon as I got into my house, I hooked up with the neighbors whose yards were mowed, whose homes were in good repair, and we formed a neighborhood watch group as well as a coalition to prevent these latchkey kids from slipping into antisocial behaviors.  Some of us even ran for local office or did volunteer work at neighborhood schools in order to exert some positive influences.  You could do the same. Of course, this solution would depend upon your willingness to be adult and to do your own problem-solving.

It would be great 

it would be nice if questioners were more definative about a locale. high crime druggies sound like baltimore.

would you like me to drop a tip off to the baltimore pd on your behalf your having trouble? I can do it anonymously.

of course its buainesses responsibility all business not simply rentals.

There is no way a landlord anywhere can ensure safety or guaranty no break ins.

The landlord must provide windows and doors that lock. He is not responsible for shatterproof windows or bars on the windows or doors. Otherwise his overhead costs to pay for all of that will exceed the affordable housing costs. Bars on the windows prevent escape in the event of an emergency  so I am not certain they are even allowed...especially on  bedrooms.

You can certainly ask about advanced security measures, but do not be surprised if there are none. 

Good luck to you.

No he or she doesn't get a bow and arrow, some bars if you can, stun gun and ring doorbell, wifi cameras and blackout curtains and please don't sleep in a dark place have lights in the living room and night light in kitchen and hall light and light in the bedroom 

The landlord is just as much a victim as everyone else.  They should have good locks on the doors and good lighting around the exterior, but beyond that, what are they supposed to do?  It's up to you to look at the place at night, see what the lighting is like, check the locks, before you agree to rent a place. If you're not happy with the security, don't live there.

• Judy

of course not................................

You need a new hobby instead of constantly spamming Yahoo. You come on here to argue with everybody.

Source(s): You and your questions

Oh look.   It's the crazy lady again.

"Isnt the landlord under some obligation to ensure that the apartment is safe to deter break-ins"   Yes.  That would be called doors and windows that lock.

"Surely the LL is responsible for things like bars on the windows, alarms on the entryways"   No.  There are no laws that require this.