Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Is 19 credits too much for one semester in undergrad?

I'm currently a rising sophomore, and my intended major is environmental systems engineering. My course outlook for the next semester is Microeconomics (3 credit), Statics (3 credit), Matrices (2 credit), Partial Differential Equations (1 credit), Elementary Microbiology (3 credits), and a gen ed which is also 3 credits. 

Now, I know that only adds up to 15 credits total, but I'll also be taking a Physics Mechanics (Physics 1) class through a community college (as such I only need a C or better to earn credit - the gpa does not transfer to my university). This class is 4 credits.

I'm trying to earn (at the very least) a 3.7 this semester. However, like I said, I'm not too worried about my grade in my physics class since it doesn't affect my gpa.

As for my work ethic and capability, I ain't no Einstein. Sometimes things come flying right too me, but the other 70% of the time I have to dedicate a decent amount of time and effort to learn it. I guess you could say I'm fairly average in that regard.

But does this still seem like it would require too much time? I'd appreciate any feedback.

You'd have to get that approved and honestly that's too much stressing verses real learning. 

15 units is pushing it.

Yes. 19 credits per semester is a lot.

You are right in that the CC courses won't affect your University GPA, however the letter grade will still be on your University transcripts. And with that course load you ruin the risk of failing that class, which will be a waste of time and money, regardless if it doesn't impact your overall GPA.

You know your abilities but taking 6+ classes is pretty demanding. 

• drip

So you want to take 4 credits outside of your university, at a CC. Then transfer those credits to the university without the grade in the class affecting your university GPA. Are you sure about that? That doesn’t sound right. If you the credit transfers so does the grade,

I wouldn’t do it. Get another gen ed out of  the way. Another 3 Credits at the same school. Or leave it at 15.

Probably too much. Most schools require permission to take loads over a certain number of credit hours, commonly 18 or more. Your GPA would be evaluated before giving any permission. Also, do you work? 80% of American college students work at least 20 hrs/wk, so are you one of them? That has impact also.

Generally, yes.  At most universities you need special permission to go above 18 credits because the workload can result in lower grades all around.

Given the courses you've listed, I would not recommend taking all of them unless you had a 4.0 GPA and while gentling plenty of sleep and spending lots of time goofing off.  Your primary goal needs to be to master the material and get decent grades.  If you mess up as a sophomore, you can't get those grades back and you'll have to work all the much harder to learn what you missed.  

Look at it this way, if you spend 19 hours a week "in class" you need to allocate about another 40 hours to homework, assignment, group sections, projects, etc.  That's 60 hours a week.  It just doesn't leave any time for socializing, exercising, or having anything go wrong -- plus it will make it hard for you to go to office hours if you are often in class.

First of all, are you even allowed to do this? A full-time,  matriculating student at a college or university would typically need permission to take a class at another college. I mean, in addition to advance agreement on transferring the credit, like you'd need if you were taking it during the summer, you'd need permission to take it during a semester you're enrolled in classes at your own college. 

Plus most colleges require permission to take more than 18 credits per semester. 

But assuming you have permission to take an overloaded schedule, and at another college at that, I think it would be too much: 

1. physics with lab is a great time consumer; 

2. you need a  high (3.7) GPA (while the physics itself won't calculate into your GPA, it will take time and focus away from your other classes); 

3. said other classes aren't all easy ones (microbiology requires a lot of memorization, microeconomics is complex and requires a lot of time); and 

4. you're taking six other classes; while they may only add up to 15 credits total, I've alway found that more classes means more work, even if the credit hours are the same. 

So, even if you're permitted to do this, I wouldn't recommend it. Why are you taking microeconomics? That's the thing to drop, if you ask me. Take physics at your own university, and drop microeconomics.

• fcas80

The fact that you are asking this, suggests to me that you already know the answer.  

I'm surprised as an environmental systems engineering major you can take physics in a community college AND the gpa doesn't transfer.  But note that it is four credits, which probably means a lab.  It may be more work than you think.

• DON W

Yes, it does seem too much.  Pretty much each of those courses will be quite difficult, and since you're shooting for mostly A's, it will be very difficult to do all of the course work.