Can My Boss Fire Me?

I work for a party rental company. Most guys go out on the trucks to make pick ups and deliveries, but my boss has been picking on me since I’m new and making me stay in the warehouse to work. The warehouse is often very hot, stuffy, and full of dust which makes my asthma and allergies act up. I am going today to the emergency room because I just cannot take the discomfort anymore, and I am going to request a doctor’s note that states that I should not be working in the warehouse for a prolonged period of time (8-12 hours) and instead, that I need to be on the trucks where I can get fresh air. Can my boss still fire me? They will NOT listen when I have told them before about my discomfort in the warehouse which is why I’m asking if they Will be able to fire me if I have A doctors note. Thanks!!!!

really you are complaining about that there is people out there with masks on 8 to 12 hours day even more and you are complaining over how hot it is and you are new you expect that you are going to do the hard work if you dont like it quit.

• n2mama

Yes. A doctors note does not protect you from being fired if you can’t do the job that you are assigned to do. 

• a

Discomfort? Are you kidding?

I experience discomfort wearing a mask eight hours a day. I experience discomfort when a customer wears too much perfume, when the air conditioner doesn't work, when I had to vacuum motel rooms and swab toilets when it was hot out. 

My dental hygienist wears: a mask, a face shield, and a surgical cap, all day, five days a week.

One of our customers wears a belt around his waist that holds the battery pack that keeps his heart beating. He always has  a second one charging, and and a third in case one of the first two packs fails.

My man friend has cancer. Still goes to work every week. 

Wear a mask.

I don't know if asking you to wear a mask, (which the rest of the world is doing, anyway) is a 'reasonable accommodation" or not. I'm going to guess, that's all they need to do. They certainly have the right to hire someone who is flexible enough to do the work they need done. 

Obviously, rather than ride around in a truck, you would be even better off is the climate-controlled, air conditioned office. (The inside of my car is covered in dust and pollen, FYI) Maybe it's time to upgrade your skills so you could work there.

Fresh air in a truck?

• Judy

Sure he can.  ........................

• H

The only thing I can tell you is maybe ask your boss if you can have a few minutes to breath outside every now and then. If not then why would you want to work for a company that doesn't give a **** about you?

No, I was hired to be a Truck Driver Helper. She has me in the warehouse strictly because none of the other truck helpers do the work correctly when they are assigned to the warehouse

Were you hired to be a truck driver?

That boss could get in trouble for that you cant just fire someone for something medical