Title transfer motorcycle?

I was on letgo looking at a motorcycle for sale. It's in WV. The guy has a title from a PA seller and he never transferred the title. I also live in PA. I'm not going to buy this motorcycle just because I don't trust that, but is this even legal? Like hypothetically, could the actual owner of the bike just say he wants it back? Could the original owner have someone test drive the bike and just claim it back? How does this work

The guy who currently has the bike hasn't signed the title either. And he said it's still registered in the seller's name

4 days ago

Electric bicycle in Singapore https://minimotors.sg

• D50

It's called "title jumping" and people do it to avoid the fees to transfer the title into their own name before flipping a motorcycle or a car. You might call your own state's DMV and ask them what problems you might face if you present a signed-over title that was not done recently. In most states, the seller should write in the buyer's name and date the transaction, but it would be hard to prove that he did not do it.

• adam

well here in Az thats fine . I do it all the time. The seller has signed it . Its notorized [Arizona] and I leave the title open . Then I sell it and they put it in their name. The only caveat is that here in Az you pay a penalty for the time it wasnt registered. Additional to the fee to register. 

There's nothing wrong with this, and I do it all the time.  People do it on bikes they want to flip.  If the previous owner registered the bike, it will still be registered under his name only for the period he registered it for.  (That doesn't mean it can be ridden, there wouldn't be insurance coverage for it.)  When that expires, it's not registered anymore.  The state's records will still indicate that he owns it, but he can't come claim it back, I'm in possession of it and all I would need to do is present the title he signed to transfer ownership to me.  The state doesn't know he sold it until (A) the person with his signed title goes to transfer it into their name, or (B) the state learns that the registered bike's insurance has been canceled and contacts the original seller. Some states add a nominal fee if the previous owner dates it when he signs it and you wait too long to transfer the title.  But otherwise it's no different than if the first owner sold it directly to you, this is only done to avoid paying tax and title transfer fees twice.

• Ron

It is not registered in the titled owners name. The guy signed the title over to the current possessor and submitted the release of responsibility.  The guy with the title in hand has failed to register the bike in his state of residence. If you purchase it you will pay for all fees and fines to bring the registration current

It the title owner has signed the title on the transfer block, it is not his vehicle anymore when he gives the title to another person.