Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Should I replace my daily peanut butter w almond butter?

I have a protein shake every day, and I use peanut butter. I just read that almond butter is better. 

I prefer the taste of peanut butter, but if almond is way better for your health I will make the switch. 

Is it a tonnn better for my health? Should I bother making the switch? Or do u think my daily peanut butter in my shake is fine ?

Favorite Answer

You need to understand why some people recommend almond or other nut butters over peanut butter so that you can make an educated decision.  Here's the basics:

1. Peanuts aren't actually nuts, they are legumes.

2. Many people have peanut allergies.

3. Most peanuts have mold on them and that mold, aflatoxin, is carcinogenic and can also cause an inflammatory response in your body.  This is even in "grind-your-own" health food store peanuts.  

4. Peanuts also have lectins that cause systemic inflammation in your body.  All plants have some type of lectin, but it is higher in peanuts and cashews than in actual tree nuts like almonds.

5. Most inexpensive peanut butter (Jif, Skippy, etc.) also include hydrogenated oils and sugar or corn syrup, which aren't healthy for you.  

All nut butters have very similar calories, fat percentages and proteins, so it really isn't worth consider those. 

Many mainstream health "experts" do not think the low-level exposure to aflatoxin is anything to worry about. Many other health "experts" believe that peanuts simply aren't a good choice.  You have to decide why you are eating peanut butter at all or putting in your smoothies and if you'd be willing to either cut nut butter out entirely or  pay more for an alternative like almond butter or something like Nuttzo.

If you're curious about lectins, etc., check out Dave Asprey and Dr. Steven Gundry.  Their books (Bulletproof Diet, Headstrong, Super Human, The Plant Paradox, and The Longevity Paradox) are two people who really started the movement against lectins

• CB

If you don't mind paying 3 to 4 times the price of peanut butter for almond butter - lets rephrase that - is the value going to be 3 or 4 time more - doubtful

• Linda

If you prefer peanut butter to almond butter, that should be fine and about as healthy. I would not replace it with almond butter because they are both nutritional and full of vitamins and protein. So stay with your beloved peanut butter!

• Girl

Peanut butter is full of protein but very calorific. Almond butter can be healthier yes in terms of calories and it is a good source of vitamins so you can substitute it. But peanut butter does taste much better. I think it’s fine - both are healthy sources of course as they are both nuts, just depends if you want the extra calories.