Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Do car alternators have subpar performance in very hot weather and if so should I accept it or is there something that can be done about it?

I live in Phoenix and when its 110+F outside the alternators in all three of my cars produce marginal voltage... Autozone test shows "bad voltage regulator" in all three cars... but when I head up north to Flagstaff, to 80 something F weather, the same alternators produce normal voltage. 

Is this just what one can expect in very hot weather or should the alternators be replaced?

You are confused. 

Are you trolling here?? 

Autozone test? 

I think that I see the problem. 

Why dont you get a DC voltmeter and do your own testing?

• arther

if its happening on all 3 cars replace the mechanic for someone that knows what they are doing. 

I would love to see that Autozone tester.  NO tester will tell you a regulator is bad.  It will just tell you a voltage output when the alternator is subjected to a load. 

Go to a real garage with real mechanics preferably ones that have a top of the line o-scope.  Check for voltage drops on the charging circuit first before condemning alternators.