Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsOther - Electronics · 2 months ago

Why would cheap $1 SOLAR calculators with an OFF button need a battery? Why does the SOLAR calculator not come on once the battery wears out?

I don't get it. My cheap Walmart solar calculators keep quitting after very little use, (about 1 minute per day for a few months.) They get to where you press the ON button and the display is messed up or non-existent. Does this mean it's not a true SOLAR, since it requires more than light to operate? If there's a cheap battery inside that it runs on but that wears out quickly, why even bother putting solar cells on the calculator? Do the solar cells make the cheap battery last longer than it would otherwise? Is it like rechargeable batteries where eventually they won't hold a charge, even after putting them on a charger? It seems to me that light should be the only power source needed, whether it's the sun or a light bulb. That's the kind of calculator I want. 

• David

Some times the sun don't shine.  Not to mention the fact that anything that costs a dollar by definition is a piece of c r a p.  Ask Neil Young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovum-GjYWKQ

Youtube thumbnail

Solar powered things like calculators or garden lights have a solar cell which charges a rechargeable battery, so it's the battery which provides the power.

When you take them apart you'll find a small button cell rechargeable battery, they're all pretty much a standard size, you can replace them by soldering another in.

I believe the sun charges the battery, so you can use it when there's no sunlight or an alternate light source in the room.  So a battery is necessary. They usually last a long time, but they do sometimes fail and need to be replaced.  I've bought one at the dollar store and it worked really well.