How well does a free VPN protect you while streaming?

A friend of mine came over, we were watching some stuff on Hulu with my Amazon Fire TV Stick and he messed with the settings because he can't leave anything alone.  He jailbroke it and sideloaded both HBO Max and Peacock on it.  He also put some other stuff on it he said I needed and he put some stuff on it for live tv because he wanted to watch something and I don't have cable.  He told me just to chill because he put a VPN on it and the FBI wouldn't be coming to the door.

He said he bought a FreeStream box last year at the State Fair for $300, he streams movies and tv shows all the time and the cops have never been to his door.

I've been avoiding HBO Max because I know it isn't allowed on the Fire TV Stick.  I also noticed he signed up for a free VPN which I don't think is a smart idea.  How long before the cops come to the door?  

I have 100 Mbps cable internet but I don't have cable or satellite tv.  I just use an antenna for my local stations then watch either Hulu, Netflix or Prime video.

Police don’t handle that stuff. It’s unlikely that you’ll even get noticed doing it. IF you're detected using illegal programs your internet service provider might send you a letter basically saying, hey man I see that you’ve never had a problem with us before so just cut it out. Most ISPs send multiple letters before they take any action. Even if you use those programs for days nonstop there’s a high chance there will be no repercussions. But if you’re worried then only use them once a week or something. 

The more likely scenario is that your ISP will cut you off and terminate your contract.  You'll have to find a new service provider, and hope that you haven't been blacklisted in your area, meaning you won't be able to get cable or internet service.  

• JJ

I understand your concern. It sounds like that guy REALLY likes to watch movies. Personally i don't think it's worth it, but if you also like movies then it probably won't hurt anything. It's doubtful that police will show up unless he secretly installed a web server for illegal file trading.