Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Should i pay 40 bucks a month for wifi with my roommates if i dont use wifi ever at home?

I have cellular data. Why would i pay for something i dont use? I would hope that if i needed something and the roommates didn't need it, that i woudnt expect them to pay part of it.

Favorite Answer

That's something to be decided only by you and your roommates. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

If you don't use the WiFi then don't pay it. If your roommate thinks you are using it without paying them tell him/her to change the WiFi password and don't tell you the new password, that way he/she can be sure that you are not using it without paying since you won't be able to use it since you don't know the password.

I pay $43. A month for internet. That fee you are asking to share HAS to include a cable TV plan because I just cannot see that cable alone could cost $120.00 per month (three-way split).

If you will not be using the service  then tell them that you are already paying for Internet data through your cell phone service plan. Why pay for something you will never use? That is almost $500.00 per year, for nothing.  For me, that cost is what I pay for my automobile insurance for eight months. And, that is for a,policy with a low deductible and high liability amounts for personal injury and collision coverage!

Be polite and decline. They cannot make you pay. But, do expect them to be mad.

Depends if the wi-fi is a communal resource. That's like saying you have a ground floor room and don't see why you should pay to heat the rest of the house.  $40 sounds like a lot, how many are sharing it?

If you are honestly not using the communal WiFi, then you need not make a financial contribution.  If your roommates do not believe you are not using the WiFi, suggest they change the password and not tell you the new details.

i dont think you should have to if youre not using it

• G R

If you don't use it and don't need it then don't pay for it, but they will have to trust you that you honestly never use it which you can prove to them by telling them to not give you the password.

No