Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicTelevisionOther - Television · 2 months ago

Why do people think 'The Trouble with Tribbles' was a great Star Trek episode?

I personally think it was the worst episode of the entire series.

How could you NOT love an episode about a fluffy love giving Tribble...and they purr!!!

• Evi

Not my favourite episode out of the entire franchise, but it was funny. 

• susan

I don't know if anyone has claimed it is "great." But you have to admit it is memorable!

Personally, it was light-hearted, but great? I wouldn't go that far. I liked "The Conscious of the King" which tied into Roddenberry's love of Shakespeare. It was a Shakespeare-esque episode, tucked inside a Shakespearean play. I also liked "The City on the Edge of Forever" as it raised the issue of alternate timelines, something not thought about much in the mid-1960s. 

• funnel

Because they think, therefor they are? Still? Coptin! COM TUR THA DECK NOW! THERE'S SOME TRIBBLE WITH MEESTAR SPOCK TEEW!

I don't think it was one of the top 3 or 5, but I really liked it.  I think a lot of people do because it was a much lighter episode..almost like comic relief.  Cyrano Jones is a great character, and the scene where Kirk ends up chest deep in tribbles is iconic.

Idk...if I had to pick my top 3 or 5 episodes, I guess it would be (in no particular order)

--I, Mudd (another episode that is more humorous than usual, but well done.  And I think Roger Carmel is outstanding as Harry Mudd)

--The Squire of Gothos...William Campbell outstanding as Trelane, "You shall hang by the neck captain, until you are dead, dead, dead."  Also a nice touch that this powerful alien holding Kirk and his men is a mere child in his race.

--The Doomsday Machine...great performance by William Windom.

--Amok Time...one of my favorite Star Trek lines:  T'Pau says to Spock, "Live long and prosper," and Spock answers, "I shall do neither.  I've killed my captain and my friend."

--A Piece of the Action...gotta love Vic Tayback as Jojo Krako.

Btw....you'll notice that none of the episodes come from the 3rd season.  That last season had a lot of weak episodes.

• Erik

Me too!  It's definitely one of my least favorite, yet so many love it.  It was the only episode that was missing a laugh track.

• I agree, I never rated it, this was probably where the show started to decline.

It was a light-hearted episode.  No sci fi show should should take itself so seriously as to be unable to laugh at itself.  It's actually one of my complaints with Star Trek in general - it tends to take itself WAY to seriously...in a sort of pompous and pretentious way.  

Stargate SG-1 did just as much speculative sci-fi but stopped to laugh at itself more often.  They never lost sight of the fact that these shows are entertainment first and foremost.  Trek forgets that ALOT.

It was one of the few Star Treks that had a lot of laughs in it or from it.

Even Spock smiled.