Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

how difficult would it be to repair a hand brake brake? what tools, parts, and time might need?

I have a 1993 Toyota T100 4WD...that has a 5 speed manual and i dont know what is reason, but the hand brake is really hard to pull out...i mean i can do it, but it takes some muscle and it will go back down, but i dont know why i can drive off with it out. (I have done this number of times and i think it maybe caused it to not work? i mean if it worked, it would prevent me from driving off? or what might be the issue? which tools , parts might need and how much time?

BTW, I HAVE REAR DRUM BRAKES,,,AND I THINK THERE IS UNEVENNESS IN THE REAR DRUMS AS SOMETIMES WHEN I PRESS ON THE BRAKE....I FEEL A KIND OF STUTTERING, SHAKING COMING FROM BACK REAR DRUM BRAKES. BUT USUALLY THE FRONT BRAKES STOP MY VEHICLE

Favorite Answer

First, the hand/parking brake on your T100 is all mechanical, so there are likely three cables, inside an outer jacket of some sort, that all need to operate freely. Sometimes, you can squirt penetrating oil inside them enough, and work them back & forth for a while, to free them up, but because of their age, they might be rusted up too much inside, and replacing them is the only option.

The hand lever has a pivot that also needs to work freely.

Once the lever & cables work freely, and any necessary springs are in good shape, the parking/hand brake should work fine.

To add; the tools necessary for this job are typical drum brake stuff, Includes brake spring pliers, retaining spring tool, and brake shoe adjusting spoon, plus things like vice-grip & channel lock pliers, small socket set, combination wrenches, and screw drivers.... How long this job will take you, depends on parts availability & your ability.

Do a search on youtube for replacing the hand brake shoes. You likely have rust build up inside the rotors where the shoes ride and will need to remove the rust. If the hand brake feels spongy when you release it you may need new cables.

• Geo

The problem is probably that the Shoes are too far away from the Drum. They should be adjusted so that they lightly rub the drum. There is a star wheel adjuster somewhere. You might want to take the Drum off to look at it. The emergency brake cable adjuster is either on the Lever inside or underneath at the Equalizer.

Toyota T100 troll strikes again.