Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

Why life expectancy in America fell sharply during the late 1910s?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

There was a war going on (WWI) plus the Spanish Flu pandemic killed millions of people.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Good point 👍...

• 2 months ago

The flu pandemic of 1918-19, and to a lesser extent, World War I.

The mortality rate of the illness was unusually high in children under age 5, and in healthy adults ages 20-40, as well as those 65+ which is true of all pandemics.  It is still not fully understood why this particular strain of H1N1 was so deadly to young children and healthy younger adults, completely the opposite from what we are seeing today.

I say WW I to a lesser extent because the US entered the war late. It is estimated that of the approximately 116,000 US military that were lost, 52,000 were due to the war itself and the other 64,000 were due to disease, mainly the flu.  The high estimate of US flu deaths at 675,000 is reduced by the military segment.

But together, this had a significant short-term impact on the US average life expectancy. It rebounded soon afterward.

If you want more evidence that the drop - which was not a sharp drop, life expectancy fell about one year from 54 to 53 - was due mostly to the pandemic and not the war, have a look at the following chart.  The US didn't enter WW II until late 1941.  From 1940 to 1945, the life expectancy in the US went up by more than 2.5 years, from 62.07 to 64.71.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1040079/life-e...

• Ludwig
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Mainly because of the 1918-19 flu epidemic.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Life expectancy dipped by nearly 1 yr. in the 5 yr. period f/ 1915-1920 because of flu pandemic and war. It dipped nearly 5 yrs. during the civil war. Otherwise it goes up except current times ... https://www.statista.com/statistics/1040079/life-e...

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

First World War

followed by

Spanish Flu

• Rick
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

automobile ..............................................

• 2 months ago

world war 1 ...........

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.