Anonymous

I'm 30yrs old planning to work for a human resources job but I have very less experiences and skills. What position could I take under there?

I have been working under my small family business (construction) to help my family there since graduating after college with a psychology degree. It's very lax compared to other jobs maybe as I have done plenty of administrative jobs. 8 years later, I wanna move out and perhaps work at the corporate world and take a human resources job in order to step up my game. But I feel like I will be given a job that is offered to the likes of fresh graduates. Is it really like that when I apply for that or any job position/s right now? What are your advice to someone like me? I think I am going back to start while looking for another job and thinking of taking this job position.

My psychology degree is more focused on arts instead of science so majority are taking this degree to have a career in human resources, thanks to studies like industrial psychology and so on. Also, many of the human resources jobs here are looking for applicants who took a psychology, business administration, human resources degree or anything similar to them. Plenty of my classmates who took the same degree even landed a job under human resources and are successful HR managers.

My complete degree is Bachelor of Arts majoring in Psychology. It is a very generalized degree because other than being a psychologist, psychometrician or a professor, one can be allowed to land a job in human resources when you have finished this. This is from where I am, though. It also serves as a prerequisite when taking a law degree and a medical degree (but one must take science subjects first which are lacking in this degree).

Favorite Answer

Employers hire skills. You should apply for jobs where you have the specific skills -- or at least 90% of them -- required for the job.  You have to figure out what skills you developed and what functions you performed for the last eight years and how those translate to a particular job opening.  

If you have the skills, knowledge, and experience to apply for a management job, that's great.  If you don't, then your only chance of making a switch is to apply for jobs that are more junior or entry-level.  If you don't have any of the skills or knowledge needed for the jobs that interest you, then you need to consider going back to school or getting a specific certification to acquire those skills and expertise. 

As companies continue to grow they face more competition. Therefore will need a more strategic HR department to keep up. This is why a lot of HR degree programs are a part of business schools, and is why having a background in business is very much so necessary in today's time. Twenty-thirty years ago HR was probably heavily administration tasks, today it is primarily strategic in nature with administration tasks being done by computer software.

While I think the administrative jobs you've done before is very helpful, it just may not be enough to land a lot of opportunities. Especially jobs in industries you may not be familiar with which a lot of new HR people have the most trouble with.

HR is so much more than helping someone who has a work related issues, hiring procedures, and making sure everyone is following the standards. That's just the tip of the HR iceberg. By saying that there are many different subcategories in HR departments such as Recruiting, Training, Talent Development, Legal, Diversity  etc. So I think it would be beneficial for you to at least to take a few courses in HR or maybe try and earned your Master's or a Graduate Certificate in the field to get a grasp of the aspects of HR. 

Although you have WORK experience you DON'T have HR experience. Therefore, don't expect to not get an entry level position. Would you give a 15 year old who is preparing to take the driver's test to be able to drive and win a NASCAR race? No. 

Also certifications such as SHRM-CP/ Senior-CP are 100% necessary to ever land a spot as a HR Manager, but they have to start somewhere it's either usually as a HR Generalist or time in either of those areas I mentioned above. 

I'll answer more questions if you have any. 

Source(s): [US ARMY] -BSBA Supply Chain Management- MA HRM

You will find as you look back over your job life you will see all jobs were on the job training type work but the college degree is the key to open them......add a good name and experience you never know what new game you could learn till a job get you additive and challenges you in its play that you might spend a life time doing.....or quick the game and walked the roads wearing your cowboy hat and pistil belt.....saying, "I'm going cleanup this nation".....