Kindred asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 2 months ago

Why do people react negatively to protests or demonstrations?  ?

If you’ve reacted badly or have been in one and noticed, please share your insights 

• RP
    Favorite Answer

Many people resist change and protests (demonstrations) are a physical call for upsetting the status quo. As a result, this generates resistance among those who do not want to change, even if they think the change may be an improvement over what is. These are people who believe the devil they know is preferable to the one they don't. To them, the idea of upsetting the status quo in any way is threatening.

Many people shy away from discord and potential violence. It's human nature that relatively conternt people do not like others to "rock the boat", so to speak.

.

Now hear this -. WRONG FORUM. You'd be on the right track if you asked in the sociology or psychology forums instead. As a formal discipline, Philosophy has little to say about this specific behavior. 

• Marli

I don't like shouting, and the continuous chanting makes people mindless - chanters and hearers alike. It is mind control from the chant leaders, whether the slogans are "Trump in 2020!" or "Kick Trump's Rump!" Chants and fist waving incite violence, and violence exclaims violence. Also, those folks who dress up in war paint and ammo belts do not want to be calm and sensible.  They want to be feared, like all bullies long to be feared.  But they make no positive impact in making Black lives or White lives matter. They also look so immature on TV. Like chickens: all skin or butterball.

I prefer a quiet, determined stand over all that agitation and many voiced shouting. I  have seen and walked picket lines. It is the quiet determination that gets my respect and approval of the strikers, not raucous shouts of hatred.

• Kieth

If you want to petition government, fine. If you stop me from going on with my life, there will be conflict.

I don't like protests because they are loud and you have no space because lots of people stand on your toes, I'd rather stay at home where I can watch TV and play fortnite 

🥴 It's a jungle out there. Makes me wonder sometimes how they keep from going under.