Anonymous

English wasn't my first language & I often use my third. Why are Trump supporters judgmental of my accent when THEY can barely speak English?

My accent is a mixture of all that, yet understandable for most people. 

It seems pretty much every person who's asked me to repeat myself in recent years is either a Trump supporter, monolingual with no interest to learn basics of a second language (even though many in my city ARE at least somewhat bilingual), or both. One has indicated being hard of hearing, I can believe it as during a lecture I had with them they had others repeat themselves as well. But the lecturer grew up listening to the radio / tv louder than recommended, and taking a toll.  Due to my special needs (speech impediment and learning disability), anxiety / stress / fatigue / dehydration cause me to speak faster than some (not incoherently unless emotional) and find it embarrassing if not humiliating. It happens even if speaking slowly and making it a point to articulate. If explaining my disability been called retarded.Do I switch to my 3rd language which they probably understand even if not necessarily able / willing to respond back in? Or my 1st so they might realize "At least he's trying (because I / we didn't understand what he just said" (my first language is uncommon, even among international students at the local university)? It's getting to the point I don't want to speak directly to people if I don't have to & yet have to especially if in a store or something like that.Anyway thanks for reading my question and the additional details or whatever yahoo calls them and hopefully you can help me out.

No Susie, it's the truth.

Humanity as a whole isn't the kindest of species zxjqbf

. . . . . . . . . .

⚫ ⚫ ⚫ ⚫ ⚫ ⚫ ⚫ ⚫ ⚫ ⚫

• Ann

Just because a person has trouble understanding your limited command of a language doesn't necessarily mean that person belongs to a particular political party. You admit to having a problem with speaking clearly, especially when under stress.  I have difficulty understanding certain tones of voices, due to a hearing loss that can't be corrected with hearing aids.  That could be embarrassing if I allowed it to be, but I know that it is a problem within myself, not with the person who is speaking. Therefore I don't get upset, and I certainly wouldn't be annoyed with the person who is speaking to me.  Your anger toward others, because they can't understand you, seems to be centered on lashing out at them because of your mistaken perception that they must be ignorant or of a particular persuasion.  My suggestion for you is that you might go to the speech department at your university and see if you could get some help through speech therapy. 

1. You must realize that is most average schools in the US, people learn only one language. If they know a second language it is considered inferior to English.  In schools of the more privileged, knowing a second language is considered a sign of class. In the US there is an attitude of English being our official language (it is not, we have none), and everyone should know it and speak it well.

2. There is a long history everywhere of people with speech impediments being treated less educated or intelligent. 

I think both of these things are at play here. I think you should be speak in the language you are most comfortable in, that you expect is understood by most. Slow downyour speach, hold your head high, and carry on.

"My accent is a mixture of all that, yet understandable for most people. "

Okay

"It seems pretty much every person who's asked me to repeat myself in recent years is either a Trump supporter, monolingual with no interest to learn basics of a second language (even though many in my city ARE at least somewhat bilingual), or both. "

Causation does not imply correlation

" But the lecturer grew up listening to the radio / tv louder than recommended, and taking a toll.  "

And you know this how?

"  Due to my special needs (speech impediment and learning disability), anxiety / stress / fatigue / dehydration cause me to speak faster than some (not incoherently unless emotional) and find it embarrassing if not humiliating."

So, if I'm understanding this correctly. You do have a speech impediment? 

"I switch to my 3rd language which they probably understand even if not necessarily able / willing to respond back in?"

Would doing that even help? One would think that in order to be most effective in your communication, you speak the language that the person you're talking to would be the most likely to understand. Provided you can speak that language coherently (by the other person's standards).

" Or my 1st so they might realize "At least he's trying (because I / we didn't understand what he just said" (my first language is uncommon, even among international students at the local university)?"

See the previous response.

" It's getting to the point I don't want to speak directly to people if I don't have to & yet have to especially if in a store or something like that."

I usually adhere to "Don't speak unless spoken to or unless something requires the other person's immediate attention" philosophy when it pertains to work (and also when I was at school). For me it works. When I'm at work, and I start speaking to another person or address the staff people listen because most of them have figured out that unless it's a serious matter, you're probably not going to hear from me. 

😄

So true.

..............

• Susie

That is a pathetic attempt to bash those who don’t agree with you politically. If you are asked to repeat something, it’s simply because they didn’t understand you. Even Americans from different regions have different accents and different phrases, and may not be understood by others regardless of political opinions.