Anonymous

Am I stealing time at work?

I work for a pretty medium sized company that is currently experiencing exponential growth. My job as a customer service agent is to both answer emails from customers and answer calls from customers when scheduled to be on phones. With the company’s growth, our product has seriously seen some quality control issues so our email and phone queue has been crazy. Also, customers are ANGRY and I have anxiety so dealing with screaming customers on the phone is pretty stressful, so lately I have not been taking calls. 

I’ve been working on emails the entire day during my shift and not getting on the phones at all. I’m now being accused of time theft. Since I am technically working by answering emails all day, is it really time theft?

Yup, it's theft. I work in a less formal situation. However, cherry-picking the easiest tasks would be something that would result in 'coaching' (which is this century's code work for 'reprimand') or a bad performance review.

You said yourself that your job as a customer service agent "is to both answer emails from customers and answer calls from customers when scheduled to be on phones."

You're using weasel words by saying, "Since I am technically working by answer emails all day." You could just as easily say, "Since I'm technically working by picking my nose all day..."

If you can't stand dealing with frustrated people, you're not cut out for customer service work. If it stresses you out, find a different job. You don't get to decide what your employer wants to pay you to do. Yes, it is bait and switch and theft of time at work if you agree to a position that involves answering phones, then you decide for your own reasons you don't want to do that.

• Scott

It doesn't matter what we think. You aren't working for us.