Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Why do you have to be 16 to get a job?

This age restriction is so stupid. Like I'm pretty sure there are 13-15 year olds that really want to work to make their own money to buy what they want! But No. you can't do that because it's illegal for anyone under 16 to work, like it's so stupid. I'm 14 and my family can't pay their bills and i can't do anything to help them because i can't f*cking work! It pisses me off! like why do they keep making all these retarded age restrictions.

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

If anything, child labor laws need to be more strict. We already consider people under 21 children when it comes to pretty much every adult right so they deserve the protection that comes from being denied full rights.

You will have your entire life to work, and work is MISERABLE, so enjoy these FEW precious carefree years while you can. When you are older you will WISH you had them back but you won't be able to.

As to why they choose 16, I do not know, it is 100% arbitrary. They probably figure someone old enough to drive and have sex is old enough to work. 

• 2 months ago

You need to look up the law again.  Legally you only need to be 14, which also happens to be the youngest age you can open your own bank account (without a custodial adult).  That isn't a coincidence either.  But a 14 year old can't work when ever, but they are legal eligible under certain criteria, but most employers don't hire anyone younger than 16.  So don't blame the law, blame the employers.

• 2 months ago

It's neither stupid nor retarded, though you may be. It's for the protection of children.

• Athena
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You are a minor and do not have the same rights as an adult.  It is as simple as that.  All of those problems you drummed up are not the problem of the State.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Because there are such things as CHILD LABOR LAWS and kids should be in school not working. GET A LAWN MOWER and MOW grass and get off your phones for a while.

• kitta
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Child labor laws are there to keep kids from being abused. In the USA, children were horribly abused when there were no restrictions on when, where, and how children could be "employed."

Child labor became a major reform issue in the 19th century, when small children were being employed in the mines, in factories, on farms, and in "industries" like prostitution, where even small children were kidnapped, used up and thrown away and nothing was done to protect them. 

Little kids were especially "valued" as mineworkers because they could fit into tiny spaces and crevices that grown men could not get into with a pick and shovel.

"Luckier" children went to work as serving maids and child servants in wealthy homes, acting as servants for the children of the wealthy. If they were really lucky they might even get some education from the wealthy employers. 

Most states allow young teens to work, with the proper permits and supervision, and even younger children can safely earn money in some situations. But precautions must be taken. 

• 2 months ago

In some states, you CAN work with a work permit..  The issue is that most employers WON'T hire someone under 16.    Many places WON'T even hire people under 18, even if they are allowed to do so.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Under 16s can work legally in the U.K. for a few hours each day.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In most states 14 year-olds can work as long as they get a school issued work permit. 

• xyzzy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In most states it is quite legal for 13-15 year olds to work with some restrictions. Federal restrictions include Minors 14 and 15 years of age can work:

3 hours on a school day

8 hours on a nonschool day

18 hours in a school week

40 hours in a nonschool week

Minors 14 and 15 years of age may:

Not work before 7:00 a.m.

Not work after 7:00 p.m. (extended to 9:00 p.m. June 1 through Labor Day)

Not work during normal school hours

And your state may have their own restrictions, like in Georgia they are:

Minors under the age of 16 may work no more than    4 hours on a school day    8 hours on a nonschool day    40 hours during a nonschool weekMinors under the age of 16 may    Not work before 6 a.m.    Not work after 9 p.m.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.