Why do people hate Tiktok so much when it's pretty much just like vine? ?

We make fun of boomers for shaming what we like and yet we make fun of kids for liking tiktok and fortnite. Sounds a little hypocritical to me.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Because of people's prejudice against China.

• 2 months ago

Tiktok is a Chinese owned company.  ALL companies in China MUST co-operate with the Chinese government if asked.  I.e., all data must be turned over to them upon request.  It has nothing to do with the content; Youtube has been doing similar stuff for years.  But, it does not hand information over to governments.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I suppose..........

• 2 months ago

Because it is "MADE IN CHINA".

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

There may be those who dislike Tiktok due to the nature of it as a medium. Basically, Tiktok is often used to make short term videos that are often used for entertainment purposes. Some within the older population may cast aspersions upon Tiktok due to either not fully understanding what it is, or not accepting it as a valid form of entertainment since much of the videos are taken from the viewpoint of the younger standpoint. It is likely that there is some resistance due to the differences of the age gap between each generation. 

However, Tiktok has come under fire for a different reason as well. The video platform was created in China and it has come under scrutiny in part due to China being the sole source for COVID-19. China as it stood even before the pandemic wasn't exactly a well beloved nation. Mostly because of its Communism and oppressive regime that it had inflicted upon its own people. With the violation of human rights abuses, in addition to the virus originating in China and spreading worldwide, it makes sense that anything related to China will be seen negatively. Thus, Tiktok has also been linked with China, but also for the reason of it possibly being used to pry into the unsuspecting user's privacy. So, it really boils down to some not understanding the platform itself, and China also being connected to it. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.