Alex asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 2 months ago

WHAT IS THE PROPER WAY TO ROTATE TIRES?

Jack up the vehicle until the tires are off the ground.

spin the tires.

I have no authority in the matter, but since our cars have radial tires, I change the back to front on the driver's side, then back to front on passenger's side.

As we tend to only have 1-2 people in the car, most of the weight is in the front, so I put the tires with best tread on the front.  Being lazy, I don't rotate again until it's very obvious that the back tires look better than the front.

I would use a stick and hit the tire to make it rotate. 

• Jim

Depends on:

The car - different sizes front to rear limits choices

The tires: some can only be rotated ONLY front to rear (directional tires), others can be rotated back left to front right.

The wear - if worn too much or wrong, you cannot rotate the tires.

Front to back. Back to front. 

The normal way I rotate my wheels is to start the engine, put the car into gear and let the engine rotate the driving wheels.  HOWEVER

There have been different opinions over the years.  Should you include the spare in the rotation?  Is it acceptable to have a tyre rotate in the opposite direction?  How do you cope with left/right wear?  The goal is to even out the wear but which wear and why?  For the 1948 model Austin A 30 the recommendation was for a 5 wheel rotation so that the spare also wore and was replaced at the same time as all the other tyres.

For my front wheel drive car the front wheels wear 3 times faster than the rear ones.  They are subjected to different forces.  So there is little point rotating the front to the rear.  And if you swap the left and right sides then the tyres are rotating in the opposite direction. 

The only problem with NOT rotating the tyres is that the spare eventually becomes too old and must be replaced even if it has never been used.

One advantage of the front to rear rotation is to keep the newest tyres on the front with the greatest tread.  Then move them to the rear when they are worn.  So that the tyres which handle steering and braking are always in perfect condition.  This involves simply moving the left front tyre to the left rear, discarding the old left rear, and putting on new front left tyre.  Then doing the same for the right.  With a front wheel drive this would be done at about the 2/3 to 75% wear level so that the tyre at the front is never worn down to its full amount.

• Barry

If you are going to do it, front to back diagonally. Many of us don't do it for three reasons. 

1) Manufacturers don't recommend it

2) It upsets the handling as each tire is 'bedded in' to the axle it's on.

3) Replacing all four at once means a large bill.

With radial tires, switch the left rear with the left front.  Switch the right rear with the right front.  You have to keep used tires turning in the same direction.