Can my go write a letter to my employer confirming that my depression makes me classed as disabled?

Hi everybody, I will explain a bit more. I am just coming off work sick and my friend advised me it would be best for me to get a letter from my Gp saying basically ‘Samantha has depression and because it effects her day to day life she is classed as disabled’ is this possible to get from a Gp or not? I have searched online etc but cannot find anything about this. 

Don't see how doing so would help your case zxqvbfgijk

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

I am not sure what you are searching for.  Being classed as disabled by an employer accomplishes nothing for you it is only a statistic for the employer.

• Judith

Even if a person is disabled they can be fired from a job if their disability prevents them from doing the job.  Unless you need special accommodations and they are able to provide those accommodations, what is the point of telling them that you are disabled?  There isn't one.

And if you want special accommodations for your mental disorder you are going to need a heck of a lot more than a statement from your GP; you would need to be undergoing treatment from a mental health social worker or a psychologist or a psychiatrist for therapy.  And you would need to be seeing a psychiatrist for medication.

And if you are clinically depressed to the point you are unable to function,  it's time you started seeking psychiatric help.

What benefit do you expect to get from being "classed as disabled".  If you want disability accommodations, first you have to self-disclose. Then your employer MAY ask for a letter from your doctor saying what limitations  you have. There is no need to say what the disability is. If you want medical leave, then you will have to demonstrate you are under treatment and that treatment does not work or allow you to work until a specified time. There may be a specific limit to the time allowed for a medical leave before you would have to submit another letter.

Is this in the U.S.? Because a doctors note here generally isn't going to be adequate for you be declared disabled in the legal sense. 

for what purpose?  are you asking for disability accommodations?  what country?  doesn't sound like US... YES< in the US< a doctors note for work accommodations IS ENOUGH to declare a disability

i doubt depression is automatically classed as a disability, likely depends on how the person is affected...in the US, about 2/3rds of people medicated for depression are not even actually clinically depressed and there fore wouldn't be disabled due to depression....don't know if docs in your country are just as stupid.

Are you in the UK? If so;

''A mental health condition is considered a disability if it has a long-term effect on your normal day-to-day activity. This is defined under the Equality Act 2010.

Your condition is ‘long term’ if it lasts, or is likely to last, 12 months.

‘Normal day-to-day activity’ is defined as something you do regularly in a normal day. This includes things like using a computer, working set times or interacting with people.

If your mental health condition means you are disabled you can get support at work from your employer.'' https://www.gov.uk/when-mental-health-condition-be...

Depression is classed a disability for the purposes of the equality act but it doesn't make you a disabled person. You simply need a sick note from your GP stating that you have a diagnosis of depression for your employers to provide support to you but they aren't going to write a letter saying that you're disabled.

Normally when you are talking about a disability, it's something that is either permanent and stable or can only get worse.  If you are claiming disability for depression then your employer could make your getting ongoing treatment a term of your continued employment.  You also need to consider what a disability prevents you from doing.  Here in the UK many people have very odd ideas about employers responsibilities to someone who claims to be disabled.

Speak to your GP, and if you are in a union, speak to your representative!

@Cammie I contacted my doctor to write the letter but she said my sick notes prove I’m disabled but is my depression automatically classed as a disability? Thank you for the answer

• Cammie

Your doctor will have to write the letter.